• Category: Medical Jobs

Confused about studying MEM course at MIMS Calicut or CMC Vellore

Want to compare MEM course at Calicut and Vellore? Searching for which one is better? Here, on this page you can find ample advice from experts which can guide you to choose the best option.

I am currently doing my internship in Karnataka. I would like to know about MEM course. I have gone through some of the websites and had contact with some EM residents. So most of them suggested 2 institutes to do MEM course, MIMS Calicut and CMC vellore.
    I am a little confused about this. I am a resident of Kerala(Calicut). I heard both the institutes offer 3 year Masters in emergency medicine. I also like to do MRCEM along with this course. So which institute will be better in hands on training, certificate value, well structured curriculum, more job prospects?
    I would like to work in India only.Is there any difference in value of certificate of GWU USA and SEMI MEM for future job placement.
    I had given an interview in Apollo Chennai for DEM course. So they suggested me to take MRCEM. So I am thinking to prepare for MRCEM while doing MEM.
    In MIMS the fees structure is high. Is it worth to do MEM there since it is not MCI recognised? Is there any point in doing MRCP along with this or is it entirely different from emergency medicine?
    I heard that while preparing for MRCEM we can also give for give MRCP exam. Will be there any difference in career? Where can we can work after this MEM (like cruise doctor,airport medical officer,)?
    Kindly provide information regarding this.
  • #147005
    We have had similar thread related to this before. I guess that you want to choose one.
    You want to do MEM/MRCEM and work in India only.

Few points

1.Any degree that is not recognised by MCI becomes only a certificate of experience for legal purposes. Hospitals should not display degrees that are not on the registraton certificates.

2. If there is a DNB program in the same hospital wherein the MEM course is being offered, then you have verify the validity or recognition of the fellowship program.

3. The promising news is that there is a huge shortage of trained Emergency medicine practitioners in India and experience is this field is always sought after.

4.MRCP - Member of Royal College of Physicians exams, you would be eligible to take Part-I of the MRCP as the requirement is minimum 12 months medical employment after the MBBS graduation. Full MRCP will make you eligible to be a physician. This is different from Emergency Medicine. If you are going to work in India only, they you should consider doing your DNB Internal Medicine or MD Internal Medicine from a recognized medical college. This would mean moving away from MEM.

5.Working on cruise ships or airports will need expereince in emergency medicine and it is always perferrabe to have valid certificates of traning in Advanced cardiac life support,Advanced Trauma Life support and Airway management.