• Category: Computers

Am I eligible to take MCA after B.Com(Computer Applications)

Interested in working in a software company after B.Com? Looking out for the eligibility criteria of MCA? Here, on this page you will find advice from experts for all your queries.

I have a doubt. I am currently pursuing my B.Com(Computer Applications), and I am very much interested in getting a job in software companies.
    But my education qualification is B.Com(CA). They are not taking under this stream but I want to get in a software company.
    So I have planned to do MCA in PG.
    Am I eligible to do MCA cause my UG is B.com(CA) and my HSC is commerce stream with Computer Science?
    Which institution will allow me to do MCA?
  • #147201
    You are eligible to join in MCA after completing your B.Com with computer applications. Any graduate who completed an undergraduate course with computer applications as a subject is eligible to join. You can search in various university website wherein the information about the eligibility can be known.

• #147209
    You can have admission in MCA course once you clear upon your B. Com since you are persuing Computer- applications in your graduation - course. It would be better to go through the University- site where you would get detailed information regarding the admission in MCA course. Focus on your current studies so as to secure grand marks in your examination. In some of the universities, the minimum passing mark of the qualifying examination has been fixed 55 percent marks apart from a written test and viva to screen the candidates prior to admission in MCA course.

• #147214

You are doing you B.Com in computer applications. Yes you can do your MCA - Master of Computer Applications is a three year course. The eligibility criteria is any graduate with a bachelor's in science,commerce,engineering from an UGC approved college and University. Even candidates who are applying for the final year exams are also allowed to apply for MCA. You can focus of specializations that include management of information systems, system development, systems engineering or application software.

This website lists many colleges all over India that offer MCA courses.This site also gives you option to search city and state wise. https://collegedunia.com/mca-colleges.

The top MCA colleges from 2017 are
    National Institue OF Technology NIT Trichy
    Indian Institute of Technology - Roorkee
    Loyola College,Chennai
    Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore

• #147219
    MCA(Master of Computer Applications) is a 3 years post graduation course and the minimum educational qualification required to join in MCA course is Graduation in science,arts,commerce,Engineering from any UGC recognised institution or university.
    As you are pursuing your B.COM, You can join in MCA course once you complete your Bachelor degree I.e., B.COM.
    And if you want to join MCA course in reputed colleges like IITs, you must clear the JAM examination.
    Some of specialisations in MCA are : Application software,Hardware Technology,Software development,System management and System development etc.
    After the completion of MCA, we can join as : Database administrator, Computer systems analyst,Software developer etc in software companies.
    And some colleges which offer MCA course are :
    Amity university,Noida
    A.P.S College of engineering,Bangalore
    Punjab university,chandigarh

• #147227
    If you are intrested in computer application then why you are doing B.com right now. Both stream does not relate with each other. Bcom is a commerce and accounting stream and MCA is a totally computer & IT based stream. You have to choose stream on the basis of interest you have on. If you are intrested then you should have to take an admission in BCA first because in MCA you learn everything in detail about programming languages, operating system, etc.... If all covers in BCA then its easy for you to understand any topic in detail.

Anyway yes you are eligible to take an admission after completing your B.com. If you want to do MCA then do with any reputed college and with recognized university. You can read reviews of the college online. how could I suggest any college or university because you did not specify from which state you belong.

• #147244
    The basic eligibility to get admission in MCA is

1. You should be a graduate in any stream which includes science, commerce, arts. Since you are doing B.Com in CA you are already eligible for it.
    2. You need to have Mathematics in you 12th Std as one of the subjects.
    3. Need to clear the entrance exam by the university or college for which you wish to apply for. (You need to start preparing for the entrance right away as they are a bit tough to clear at university level)
    4. If you are applying for cross-university then they will have to convert your marks to match the level of the standard of the university for which you wish to apply for.

Along with all this, I would also like to inform you that try to get the degree from a good college, because with masters the hiring count is low in software companies. Logic is simple, companies prefer graduates more than PG as they can get the same work done from a graduate with a lower pay than the PG. So it is very important that you study in a college which has very good placements opportunity.

• #147256
    Yes, after completion of B.Com, you are eligible to take admission in MCA. The eligibility conditions of taking admission in MCA are different in different universities of India, generally students having 50% marks in Graduation and who have studied Mathematics upto X+II level are eligible for admission in MCA in Indian universities.

However, I have noticed that very few students from Commerce background study MCA. Furthermore, for admission in MCA programme, almost all Universities select students on the basis of Entrance examination, which is more or less tough. Keeping these two factors into consideration, you have to take your own decision to change the stream.