BTech Fresher 2018 and confused between Govt job and CAT

Confused between taking up a government job and studying for CAT exam? Looking out for advice to resolve the worries? On this page find responses from experts for your queries.

I'll finish my BTech (CSE) in the upcoming year with an average 63%. I'm unable to choose between going for (Bank P.O or any govt job) and (CAT).
    If I go for CAT coaching, can I write govt jobs? I have this doubt because I want to know if there is a difference in Syllabus or should I just go to govt side(I have a reservation).
    Anything is fine for me, but I'm not that good at calculating fast. So I don't know which one should I opt. Which side would it be easy to go?
  • #147575
    You can go for any government job irrespective of CAT exam. CAT exam will have more or less similar syllabus as for bank PO exams which includes aptitude, arithmetic reasoning etc. But if you are interested in your own field i.e. BTech CSE, consider doing some certified courses which will add extra weightage to your profile. This will make your profile more relevant in your field. Some certified courses include:
    • Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer For Web Applications.
    • Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate Windows Server.
    • Software Development Associate Certification.
    • Comptia's Security+
    • Comptia's A+ Certification
    • Comptia's Linux+
    • Cisco Certified Network Associate.
    • Cisco Certified Network Professional Routing And Switching.
    • Cisco Certified Network Associate Security Credential.
    • Project Management Professional.
    • Certified Information Systems Security Professional.
    • Certified Scrummaster.
    • Certified Information Security Manager.
    • Certified In Risk And Information Systems Control.
    • Certified Secure Software Lifecycle Professional Credential.
    • Citrix Certified Professional – Virtualization.
    • Hacking: Certified Ethical Hacker.
    • Google Developer Certification - Google Developers.

But if you want any government job only you can try that in various fields such as
    1. Banking sector – Probationary officers (PO), Clerical or field managers
    2. DRDO – Defence Research and Development Organization
    3. Indian Army
    4. UPSC – Union Public Service Commission (IAS, IPS, IB, IRS etc).
    5. PSU – Public Sector Undertakings.
    6. ISRO – Indian Space Research Organization.
    These are few of the government sectors where you can find job opportunities. All you need is to do proper research, pen down the options and select the job which suits you well to your profile and interest.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• #147577
    You have completed your B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering. First, introspect why you are not interested to work in computer-related fields. If you are interested to work in your own field of Computer Engineering, try to find a good job in that sector or go for M.Tech in Computer Science. If you want to study Management, then prepare for CAT or similar other entrance examination for taking admission in one of the reputed business schools in India or in abroad.

If you want to join Government/PSU, you are eligible by virtue of your Graduation degree. But, you must remember that you won't be able to work in your own field once you join the Government. A government job is entirely different in nature. First mentally prepare yourself, know different kinds of jobs and their nature of duties, and thereafter plan for your future career. Vacillation won't help you. Take an informed decision and stick to that decision.

• #147596
    I have had the oppurtunity to go into the entire details as listed by you.
    First of all, you have to have a clear stand in what direction you want to proceed. Whatever profession you choose, you need to be honest in approach, hard - working and should be familiar with the benifits, you are likely to get by achieving the same.
    You may think of continuation of your M.Tech qualification and aquistion of the same would offer you immense oppurtunities for Lecturership in Government Engineering colleges, you may be considered as a hot cake for the Public Undertaking Organisation where you would get two additional increments on the strength of this qualification if you prepare for the test in a sincere manner. You can also get assignment in the Research- areas.
    You can choose any field for which you have inner passion.
    You can appear and qualify for Banking examination.
    You may write the CAT test and later with an impressive percentile, you may secure admission in a coveted Institute.
    There are a number of possibilities, which you may choose depending upon interest and passion. You need a little retrospection prior to selection of your career.
    While preparing for the CAT, you can go in for the Government jobs. There is not much variance in the patterns between the two tests. In fact, CAT test is somewhat superior in terms of quality.

• #147663
    You are finishing your BTech and have to choose between Bank or CAT exams. You say anything is fine and prefer a Government Job. Many choose a Government job for its security, associated benefits, and pensions etc. The actual job you do may not be in sync with what you like or what you have studied.

The further course of action would depend on your ability to pursue higher studies, affordability and family commitments. If finance and time are at a premium and who have commitments, then go ahead with the Bank exams or CAT and get a job first. Then you can choose to continue education by distance mode from IGNOU or UGC recognized universities that would enable you to be prepared for promotions and career progression.

If time is on hand and finance is not an issue, the go ahead with M.Tech and then you would be better equipped for jobs in the private or public sector companies.Once you finish your M.TEch you can consider CSIR/UGC NET tests that would make you eligible for a good job.

The IBPS or Bank Probationary Officer exam for various banks need a fair degree of accuracy and speed to have a good score. It focusses on the ability to reason, a grasp for numbers, data analysis and interpretation.
    Many feel CAT exams is slightly more tougher than Bank exams and it needs speed, command over language and analysis.

I would say spend some time trying to see the model papers and get a hang of Bank and CAT exams, So that you can choose either one of them> But it needs dedication, hard work and practice, many times.