• Category: Opinion About

Which is best internet speed test site?

Have a query about the measuring internet speed? Looking out for the best test site? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

My internet service provider says they are giving me 1Mbps download speed which is actually true when I test it in speedtest.in .
    But when I test in other websites it shows 0.3Mbps. Why is it so?
    How can I make sure my service provider is not cheating me?
  • #147909
    You can go to this site,"http://www.ookla.com/". This site will give you a testing method and monitoring methodologies based on HTML5. This custom speed test will give you a more reliable solution for the measurement of the internet speed. This is a highly accurate, world-class method to inform you consistently the speed.

• #147912
    Do note that internet service providers given speed is also coming with the drop of the connection. So the speed divided by 8 is the calculation usually done for the speed. And it seems the speed varies in between that calculation. So you may have to be really careful for the speed that you are getting. And the variation of the speed will happen in between those things.

They are not cheating you the drop is real. Even with fiber optics and the phone lines. Things remain pretty much the same. You can see that there are many speed sites and none of them are accurate per se. I suggest find out your download speed through downloading large files. And same with the upload speeds.

• #147921
    There are various sites which claim to test the internet speed. It is difficult to find out how genuine they are.

What we can do is try to test the speed with at least 2-3 such sites. Those which are giving consistent results with each other can be taken as correct.

Some of these sites are -
    www.centurylink.com
    www.fast.com
    www.speedtest.net

• #147926
    Various sites claim to test internet speed. The following three sites can be tried for this purpose:-

(a) www.speedtest.net
    (b) www.ookla.com
    (c) https://testmy.net

Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

• #147933
    Internet speeds do vary from time to time depending on default browsers, spywares and dynamic rate scaling.
    The sites give variable results. In general you can check download and upload speed in Mbps, roughly for a 1MB file transfer you need at least 8Mb/second speed, you can calculate based on the time taken and the size of the test file. This will give you a rough idea of the average functional speed of your connection.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/spectrum-speed-test/
    www.cox.com
    www.speedtest.net

• #147942
    I test my internet speed with BSNL speed test(speedtester.bsnl.co.in/) and speedtest.net.
    I am using BSN WiMax. The speed is very low. Even a speed test by avast mobile security in mobile also shows red colour and says download speed is very low. The promised speed is 1Mbps.
    As my net use is very much limited and mostly ISC, email and some news reading, I am somehow managing with that.

Mostly we see that the promised speed does not happen after some time. The providers use 'throttling' to restrict the download speeds as they go on adding more and more users. In the case of 'unlimited' category this throttling is sure to happen. Speeds become slow on certain time slots when there are many users. The speed will be sen becoming slow when the starting of business timings, ,during peak business timings etc..
    What little we can do from our side is to keep our device less congested by cleaning RAM, by opening only one window/site in browser at a time, restricting or disabling heavy videos etc if not essential, using faster browsers and keeping browsers, OS and antivirus software updated always. We should also restrict background activity of applications and software. We can also keep regular scans to prevent malware and virus. These can give some cosmetic effect.
    The problem of speed may be brought to the service provider, who may either rectify the issue or suggest migration to another suitable plan.

• #147946
    The speed described by our internet service provider (ISP) is the speed between you and your ISP but not the speed between you and the internet you use. So if an ISP says that they are providing 1 MBPS or 10 MBPS connection, it means that the speed they give from their hub/server to you and it doesn't mean it is the actual speed that you can browse with (download or upload).

The speed of your broadband connection depends mainly on 3 factors:
    1. Your ISP
    2. How you are accessing internet from your ISP? (LAN cable/ADSL routers etc)
    3. The distance between your ISP server and you. (To minimize the distance lag, most ISP's provide hubs at your nearest location so that the server speed is not dissipated).

In general the download speed is greater than upload speed wherever you test it. I personally use speedtest.net to test my browsing speed. So an ISP speed advertised by the respective companies (as 1 MBPS or 5 MBPS or 10 MBS) is shared by many users/subscribers over their server and hence you get a slower speed than what they promise. So if you think you are getting download speeds slower than the advertised by your ISP contact them or change to a new connection.

Download speed = Your ISP speed divided by 8.
    Since you are having 1 MBPS connection your download speed will be 1 MB/8 = 128 KBPS (1 MB = 1024 KB). So your download speed must be 128 KBPS. If you are willing to increase your download speed you need to change the broadband plan or upgrade the existing speed plan with your current ISP.

Good luck.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• #147954
    There are many website by which you can test your internet speed such as SourceForge, centurylink, fast.com, www.airtel.inNote : 1 megabytes per sec= 8Megabit per sec or 8 Bit = 1Byte
    Your internet speed is given in kilobits and megabits per second. Typical speed in kilobits are 10 to 30 for a dial-up modem, 500 for a DSL or cable modem and 1000 or above for a T1 Network.
    When you type speed test into the search bar both Bing and Google offering their own versions of speed test.

• #147955

[Delete Response]

• #148020
    The best site which I have used so far for testing my internet speed in www.speedtest.net. I trust this site because this site is from a global network diagnostics leader called Ookla. After running the test it provides various information such as ping response time, download speed, upload speed, the exchange server to which you are connected. They provide various diagnostics services to many companies with their own company tools. So, I would suggest you to use this site for your internet speed testing purpose.

Make sure that only one device is connected to the internet when you are testing the speed. Also, note that your internet service provider can block some websites from which you cannot test the speed. Perform multiple tests from this site by turning it off and on and note the speeds, exchange server information every time. If you see same exchange server is displayed every time, you can call the customer service of you provider and request for connecting to some other exchange server.

You have mentioned that you saw reduced speed while testing in another site. I hope you performed the tests at the same time and without connecting multiple devices. There is also another website http://www.meter.net/ which provides good statistics about your internet speed.

Rizwan