A career in logistics is very new in India but it has a good demand as well. On the contrary, there is no knowledge or it is not as popular as other mainstream courses. It will take some time for this industry to bloom and there are few colleges that offer graduate or postgraduate course in logistics and supply chain management. You should check the college's infrastructure and academic records before joining the college. Before that let me tell you what is Logistics and its scenario in India.
What does Logistics and Supply chain management actually deal with:
1. It includes both inbound & outbound movements and does not include activities such as forecasting and procurement.
2. Logistics is the process/chain management of transport flow and the storage of goods and services from its origin to it consumptions.
3. Supply Chain Management (SCM) involves coordinating and integrating these flows both within and among companies with the objective of making products available when needed.
4. Supply Chain Management (SCM) is the oversight of materials, information, and finances as they move in a process from supplier to manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer to consumer.
Logistics scenario in India:
1. India logistics market will become double by 2020
2. India spends 13% of its GDP on logistics compared to an average of 10% in other developing countries
3. Indian logistics industry is at an inflection point and will reach a market size of over $125 billion in coming years
4. Indian Logistics industry would need 28.4 million skilled people in the "Senior Resource Category" in warehouse management by 2022
5. Technological change in the logistics industry demands a trained workforce in all
areas of the sector
So there is a great scope in coming future for Logistics and Supply chain management. You can do a simple certification course in this or you can pursue an integrated course such as degree and postgraduate courses. One of the best available options for a degree in Logistics is Institute of Logistics and Aviation Management (ILAM). It has great faculty and infrastructure. The institute also has placement cell with which you can get a job through campus interviews. For more details you can visit:
ILAM has its institutions located in Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, and Bangalore. You can join in the nearest institute if you are interested.
You can get simple certification (without a degree) from the following sources:
1. MicroMasters Program on edx.org and controlled by Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2. The Flipkart Corporate University Supply Chain Management Academy
3. Welingkar Institute of Management (WeSchool).
The certification from the above three institutions is like a distance education course and it is not a degree. They can be freely obtained without any infrastructure. Other top colleges which offer degree or postgraduate degree Logistics and Supply chain management are:
1. Amity University
2. Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
3. Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
4. Indian Institute of Management Indore
5. Indian Institute of Management Kolkata
6. Indian School of Business Hyderabad
7. Institute of Logistics and Aviation Management - ILAM
8. Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
9. National Institute of Industrial Engineering
10. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
11. Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology- Bombay
12. Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
You can also get a diploma certificate which is an undergraduate course from Indian Institutes of Logistics, Chennai, and Kochi. This is 9 to 10 months course and it costs you nearly 70,000 for the completion of course. For more details visit:
No 6, Esplanade, 2nd floor,
Chennai - 600 108.
Phone : 044 - 2534 - 5013 / 14
Light House Building,
Divine Park Layout, Opp CSEZ,
Kakkanad, Kochi - 682037
Phone : 0484 - 4015 - 830 / 660
Dr. V. Shashikanth