How to protect the contents of my Website?

Have a query about how to protect online content in blog or website? Looking out for legal technicalities for copyright of content? Here, read the advice provided by experts and resolve your queries.

I have started a new blogging website, I want to ensure that the content is copyrighted so that others don't reproduce it without my permission.

What steps should I take? Can you guide me? I am not aware of any legal technicalities and keywords, so I would be happy if you could explain to me in simple words.
  • #148520
    On this virtual world of the internet, any article can be duplicated or copied. Be it a free blogger or a webmaster, no one is an exception. In order to protect your posts from being copied many admins follow multiple methods. Some copyrights are based on 'virtual' ownership and some or legally owned. In virtual ownership, you will be mentioned as the owner of the original post or the blog/website. If someone copies it, you cannot take any legal action, except reporting it to Google or any other search engine to remove the duplicate content from their respective listings. In legal ownership, which is a practical and non-virtual ownership, you legally file a case on the duplicated content. The former is easy and the latter is tedious. Nonetheless, I will provide some information with which you can display content ownership on your blog.

1. If you are using a Blogspot blog, log in and navigate to the layout. In the layout, you will see an option called attribution at the bottom of the page. Click on edit and then you will be prompted to write (in a pop-up) something in the box. Write the name of your blog, year and write 'All Rights Reserved" and save it.

2. Digital Millenium Copyright Act Services (DMCA) is a paid service but an excellent service which protects your content in the virtual world. You can signup and pay for their (monthly or yearly) charges in order to stick a copyright protection badge to your blog. If any infringement happens, they will handle all the legal actions and you will be compensated accordingly. They also have plenty of other options such as content monitoring, content theft research, website takedown and much more. You can check this at https://www.dmca.com

3. Use Google Alerts to protect your static pages. Protecting all articles with Google Alerts can be tedious as you have to input all URL's that need to be monitored. Instead of that, you can insert URL's of all pages in your blog with specific keywords (such as neethu's home page, neethu's profile, neethu's post etc) for each URL. Google will check if the pages are replicated based on the keywords you input.

4. Plagiarism checking is one of the popular free tools which many users and admins will check for a duplicated content. You just need to copy your post into the plagiarism tool and click on check. The free online tool will search the internet which has similar content and will display links below. You can visit the links and simply send an email to the publisher stating that you are the owner of the content and ask them to remove the post. Though it is highly unlikely that he/she may remove that post, yet it is worth a try.
    You can visit https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-checker to check the duplicated content of your posts.

5. Add feed footer in your blog settings. But first, you need to burn your feed in Feedburner. Go to Feedburner.com and make an RSS feed of your blog. RSS feed is nothing but an automation mailing system with which an email is sent to subscribers (as a short summary) whenever you publish a new post. The feed URL will be http://feeds.feeburner.com/YOU-BLOG-NAME. Once you get your feed URL, go to settings in your blogspot dashboard, then navigate to other settings and in other settings enter the feed URL and in Site Feed options. Change the 'Allow blog Feed' option to Full. Then in post feed footer, add your Blog name, year and "All Rights Reserved". This will protect your posts by simply disabling other users to infringe your blog feed.

Finally, it is a little difficult to constantly monitor your content 24/7 but it is good to take necessary measurements.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• #148522
    I have hosted my website on wordpress.org, can I display a disclaimer that it is original content and cannot be reproduced without contacting us? Should I follow some legal procedure before displaying the disclaimer?

• #148526
    You can add disclaimer plugin in WordPress. You need not necessarily follow a legal method to add a disclaimer unless you want to sue someone legally who replicates your content. There are plenty of WordPress plugins which are free with which you can add a copyright protection to your blog. You can add a creative commons license for your blog and integrate into your blog. For this visit:

https://creativecommons.org/choose/

These two options with other options in my previous reply will do fine.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• #148528
    Thanks a lot, Dr, will try doing the above.

• #148550
    To disable copy text go to layout option on your blog then click on add a gadget. Now click on HTML/JavaScript. type disable copy paste title there and in the content paste this script code
    <script type='text/javascript'> if(typeof document.onselectstart!="undefined" )
    {document.onselectstart=new Function ("return false" ); } else{document.onmousedown=new Function ("return false" );

Now click on save and save arrangement option. Now view any post try copying. It does not copied now because of disable copyright script code.
    For full protection of your website content you need DMCA complain against webmaster. For blogger you need to download plugin called WP Security and you can also check out bulletproof security and Wordfence security.

• #148709
    When it comes to the protecting text based content, it cant be protected much. The text content can be scraped through the console. So people try some of the following methods.

1. Javascript disable: This way people can not right click on your webpage and can't copy using control c and V. That way the basic protection can be achieved.

2. Copyscape warning : There are tools such as copyscape warning. And you can warn the owner about the website content copying. And that should be one way site can be protected.

These two seems to be effective. You can also use DMCA notice to take down your content on the host of person who copied your content and hosted as his own site.

• #151593
    No one can stop anyone copying the contents and publishing it on his websites. Even disabling the Javascript, Copy option and disabling right click option in my websites, some bad guys copied it using CONSOLE.

Whatever methods we try and implement, there will be one weakness that remains. In the world of blogging, the best way to protect your article is by offering others free articles and asking them to link back to the original article if they copy the contents.

Not only this, I have also seen a lot of duplicates articles being copied from ISC and posted it on their site. Search engines will not index such blogs and will blacklist the website ip address if anyone post only plagiarized articles.

Also, if you're writing a tutorial articles, make sure you create a video along that and upload it on YouTube. Link together. Also everytime you wrote and article you can do so. Another good option is to claim ownership of your websites from Google by putting a Javascript codes in your Blog HTML.

Hackers never learns but always wins!