• Category:

Is the heat emitted from laptop and mobile radiation

Have a query about the harmful impact of radiation from mobiles and laptops? Searching for detailed information about how use these devices and avoid impact o radiations? Here , on this Ask Expert page check out suggestions for yuor issues.

I had a small doubt in my mind.Frankly, it is a little bit annoying to me. The issue is related to the radiation. I am reading much news about the radiations and the disasters that were causing Now- a- days I am much worried about it. Not for my sake, but because of the future generation, which can be possible only if I had relevant knowledge about it.
    I heard that mobile phones and laptops will cause radiations which will cause many diseases mostly sterility, We cant avoid using mobiles so can you please suggest me the steps I can save my self?
    1.I am using moto E3 mobile. The main issue is that it is heated when I use it only for few minutes also it gets heated up. My doubt is the heat a cause of or any type of radiation or any it no need to be worried?
    2.Will usage of earphones will save me from radiation or blue tooth device will minimize the radiation? Or both the devices are only a precaution to minimize the loss? We have to see it as an alternative, cant we come to the conclusion that we are safe from the radiation we cant be saved from the entire radiation.
    3. Is it that dangerous we should avoid the usage of the mobile phone completely or am I thinking more about it, I think while manufacturing any device they will take all the precautions and launch a device in to the market. Or do you want to say: if you want to use any product you should be ready to face its drawbacks also. For a day how much time can I use the mobile. I am talking nearly 45 min on mobile by using earphone. I had to use for my purpose. Any suggestions for it? Will the effect will be less if I use whats app call or the normal call?
    4. I had to use my laptop for the work. I observe heat coming out of my fan. Is it normal heat or it is also a form of radiation? Will it cause any loss and has to be avoided?
  • #150468
    Yes, radiation is emitted from mobile phone and laptops. Generally, it is not a very big issue. We should take some precautions to avoid radiations. My son has an eye problem and I told the ophthalmologist that my son always have the phone in his hand and I am worried then he told that it is not a problem but minimize the use of the phone is better. So, use the glass which protects radiations. Blue tooth and earphone minimize radiations but adversely affect our ears.

• #150470
    The radiations from laptop and mobile are definitely harmful for the body if the doses are received for prolonged periods. One should be careful in handling these gadgets.

These gadgets are so much in usage that we can not think our life without them. They have become an integral part of our body.

The name of the laptop is to be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, we should not keep it on our lap. The small amount of radiation which it emits is harmful if we keep it so near to our body. The best position is to keep it on a table and sit on a chair facing the laptop. The symptoms of a laptop radiation affected person are breathlessness, dizziness and fatigue.

The mobile phones also emit radiation which can be harmful if it is always used near to the body. It is strongly recommended to use earphones wherever possible.

Do not press the mobile phone on your ears. Keep it slightly away. Do not keep a mobile below your pillow. It is a bad habit and can lead to harmful effects on the brain or head.

There are medical studies which show that during prolonged use of mobile phone especially keeping it near the body can induce temporary blood pressure increase, fatigue and other tiredness symptoms. So it is prudent to use these gadgets with safety rather than inviting unknown risks.

The brain and body of the children are in a developing stage and they are more susceptible to these radiations and we should take care that they are not tied up to these devices for a long time.

• #150476
    Many of our wireless gadgets and many appliances emit radiations and also receive and work on radiation. Even the sunlight we get from Sun is a type of radiation and the spectrum has various types of radiations.

Radiations are invisible to the naked eye, many types of radiations have penetrating power. The damage by radiation happen mainly by two ways.
    1,Penetration 2.Localisation. Those radiations which are capable of penetration penetrate into our body or pierce into our body and then come out from the other end. During its penetrative journey, it would have caused some damage to the body tissues. Most of the times our body mechanism come into play and repair the damages. Hence we do not feel the damage. However sometimes the damage potential is too much that the body cannot repair and the damage would have been irreversible also. Usually very high dose radiations or long and sustained radiation for a long time cause such damages.
    Those radiations which may not penetrate,but may cause some local damage ta the place where they hit. Such localisation effects are heating or burning,discolouration, carcinogenic effects etc. Here also generally our body repairs if the radiation effect is less quantum and only for a short time. However high dosages or long time exposure to even small doses can cause irreparable damages.

The simple formula to protect ourselves from radiation is :
    Restrict the exposure be for as low time duration as possible.
    Let there be maximum distance from the radiation source and our body(at least vital parts)
    Let there be some kind of shielding between the radiation source and our body.

For mobile phones there is SAR value. The SAR should be less than 1.6. Manufacturers have to display the SAR in the details about the instrument. Using cabled earphones can help lesser exposure to radiation, but not wireless headphones .

The heat coming from a mobile or laptop is actually the heating of processor and other parts. It is usual for laptop, PC, mobile etc to get heated up to some extent.The device has to be kept cool by its inbuilt fan, or by normal ventilation as more heat may damage the processor and affect the functioning of the laptop. That is why we should not keep mobile or laptop fully wrapped up without ventilation.

• #150489

Many mobiles will get heated automatically during intense use like videos, gaming, and charging. You can use apps like 'Coolify' that monitors the temperature, changes phone settings and closes unwanted apps when the phone heats up. If the phone is getting heated up very quickly during short conversations, then get it checked.

All Mobile phones give off a form a non-ionizing radiation referred to as radiofrequency waves. The effect of this is very minimal when compared to ionizing radiation like x-rays, UV rays, and gamma rays. Nevertheless, studies have shown prolonged exposure to these RF waves causing sleeplessness, reduced bone density etc. In India, the Specific absorption rate -SAR value for phones have been fixed at 1.6 watts/ kg since 2013. Prior to this it was 2W/Kg.

2. Will usage of earphones will save me from radiation or blue tooth device will minimize the radiation?

Earphones certainly reduce the exposure to the mobile radiation because physically the mobile with the reception antenna is away from the body. The more the distance between your head and the phone, the better it is for you. The same with Bluetooth, you can change the side regularly. As a rule of thumb, experts say that if the phone is two inches away, the RF impact drops by four times.

3. Is it that dangerous we should avoid the usage of the mobile phone completely or am I thinking more about it.

We have to use the phones, apart from the earphones and Bluetooth, you can just reduce your exposure by texting when possible, having short conservations etc. Mobile phones emit more RF when it works more like trying to talk when signals are very weak, while in lifts while driving wherein the distance between the phone and the tower keeps changing.

A laptop does emit electromagnetic radiation and heat. In the initial days, many used to literally use them mostly on their laptops. Now things have changed, many tables, small stands, laptop coolers are all available. The heat between the thighs and on contact with the skin would have adverse effects and there is some unproven fear about infertility in men ( the testis enclosed in the scrotum produces the sperms). So, you can adjust this according to if you keep a watch on the distance from the eyes and from the thighs.

• #150505
    1. My doubt is the heat a cause of or any type of radiation or any it no need to be worried?
    - Yes . Cell phones emit radio frequency energy (radio waves). It is non-ionizing radiation, from their antennas. Tissues nearest to these antenna can absorb this energy. While ionizing radiation e.g. X-Rays can cause cancer , radio waves with lower frequency don't cause as per experiment. But due to radio energy heating causes problems to skin where it is held.

2.Will usage of earphones will save me from radiation or blue tooth device will minimize the radiation?
    - Yes definitely. As answered previously only heating can cause damage so earphone will do solve problems.
    Or both the devices are only a precaution to minimize the loss?
    - Both solves purpose of staying away from cellphone.
    We have to see it as an alternative, cant we come to the conclusion that we are safe from the radiation we cant be saved from the entire radiation.
    - For peace of mind solution is to start using landline.

3. I am talking nearly 45 min on mobile by using earphone. I had to use for my purpose. Any suggestions for it?
    - You are good to use it. Try to do yoga and stretches for face muscles especially ears.

Will the effect will be less if I use whats app call or the normal call?
    - Does not matter. It is one and same.

4. I had to use my laptop for the work. I observe heat coming out of my fan. Is it normal heat or it is also a form of radiation?
    - That heat is regular heat and laptop fan just trying to be cooler by throwing it out. Most laptops have that problems. Only solid state drive laptops gave less heating problem but companies in competition increasing more load on processor which is heating every upgrade.

Will it cause any loss and has to be avoided?
    - Like regular heating it will cause problem to your skin. Try to use laptop on table or over pillow or laptop pad.