• Category: Ophthalmologist

What would you suggest me about eye check up

Having issue with visibility? Looking out for medical advice to resolve the issues and get eyes checked up? Find advice from our medical experts for yuor queries.

I am 30 years old and have a complaint of constant number increase of my eye. I was diagnosed with keratoconus in 2012 and had done Corneal collagen cross linking, but since last 1 year am having difficulty in visualizing things.
    I had my eye checkup done in 2017. It was - 10 and now its -13 (rt eye). What should I do now?
  • #151088
    Keratoconus is a bilateral ocular disorder. The cornea assumes a conical shape due to thinning of the stromal collagen tissue. Generally, 1 in 2000 population will have this problem. This disorder will start around puberty and will increase until the 40th year of the individual and then stop.
    An Ophthalmologist will detect this by slit lamp examination clinically and will be confirmed by corneal topography. This is a disease for which predicting a cause is very uncertain and how it increases or decreases is also unpredictable.
    The risk factors are, eye rubbing, family history, Genetic predisposition and Connective tissue disease
    The very first symptom of this problem is a frequent change in the spectacle power. As time goes the vision deteriorates and may not improve with glasses. This will also cause distortion vision, streaking and sensitivity to light.
    This disease in its early stages can be controlled by using contact lenses which are rigid. These will correct the irregularity of the cornea and provide the better quality of vision. However, the disadvantage of contact lenses is in severe cases, the optimal fit is not achieved and rigid lenses are more difficult to wear.
    The other methods are
    1. CXL (Corneal Collagen Crosslinking with Riboflavin):
    2 Intacs:
    3 Cornea Transplant.

As per your question, you have undergone some surgery but still, there is an increase in power. It gives an indication that still there is some problem. There are two good Eye Hospitals in South India which I know,

1. L V Prasad Eye Hospital, Hyderabad
    2. Snakarnarayana Netralaya, Chennai.

These two institutes are serving the needy with a very good care and suitable treatment. There are very good doctors. You can take appointment from the hospital and get your Eyes checked and they will suggest you the best course of treatment and definitely, your problem will be sorted out.
    I advise you to act immediately.

• #151092
    Please seek professional medical advise. In this condition, Keratoconus, the corneal is like a cone instead of being like a smooth dome, this changes the vision dynamics and people end up with minus power.

You have undergone collagen cross linking,here the thinned out cornea is strengthened hoping that the progression of the keratoconus is reduced. At times after this procedure, patients can have blurring of vision and corneal scarring.

Please see a specialist unit that deals with Keratoconus. Some of the good hospitals are Narayana Nethralaya in Bangalore (https://www.narayananethralaya.org) which is one of the good hospitals in the country for keratoconus, The eye foundation (http://www.theeyefoundation.com) etc.

In patients with advanced keratoconus, 16-22% of them need corneal transplant surgery.
    Innovative procedure like "Keraflex KXL' are also being tried where with a low energy pulse of microwave the cornea is shrunken to reduce the cone in the keratoconus.

NARAYANA NETHRALAYA
    #121/C Chord Road, 1st 'R' Block, Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore -560 010 - INDIA.

Sankara Nethralaya (Main Campus)
    No. 41 (old 18), College Road,
    Chennai 600 006, Tamil Nadu, India.
    Telephone: +91-44-4227 1500, +91-44-2827 1616
    Fax No: +91-44-2825 4180
    This hospital has branches in other states, you can see one of the eye specialist near by to you and then get referred to the main unit
    +91 80 6612 1400 04

• #151098
    This condition is due to the disorder of cornea and due to its change in shape it creates short sightedness (myopia) of very high degree forcing one to use high power minus lenses. Though doctors claim certain techniques to contain this degenration of cornea but only expert ophthalmologist will be able to give a concrete advice depending upon the condition of cornea and other peripheral parts of the eye of an individual.

Sankara Netralaya in Chennai, Dr. R. P. Centre for ophthalmic sciences A.I.I.M.S in New Delhi , L. V. Prasad eye hospital in Hyderabad, Aravind Eye HospitaL in Madurai, Shroff eye hospital in New Delhi and Narayana Eye Hospital in Banglore are some of the leading eye hospitals in our country where one can try to get the treatment for this corneal disorder.