Scope of Central Govt. job through SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam

Planning to switch from a State Govt. job to a Central Govt. one through SSC CGL? Learn from experts if this is a wise move and what is the scope of a Central Govt. job as an Assistant in the Railways.

I am currently in a State Govt. civil engineering job as a Junior Engineer. I am not interested in it. Should I go for SSC CGL (SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam) because it is a Central Govt. job with high salary and compensation? Is there any post in CGL which has the least work stress, less transfer possibility and is overall good? I am fascinated by Assistant posts in the Railways. Is it good work wise and facilities wise? What is the scope, promotion etc?
  • #151705
    My answer is as under:-

(a) If you are a Diploma-holder in Engineering, you are not eligible for SSC CGL because Diploma in Engineering is not considered equivalent to Graduation.
    (b) If you have a Bachelors degree, only then you can appear in SSC CGL.
    (c) SSC CGL is a recruitment examination for filling up of various vacancies in Central Secretariat, Railway Board Secretariat, Indian Foreign Service Group B Non-Gazetted, Customs, Central Exercise, Audit Service, Military Audit, and similar other Group-B Non-Gazetted posts.
    (d) You can't choose service on your own. It depends upon your final rank and number of vacancies in each service.
    (e) It is a three-tier examination with elimination in each stage.
    (f) So, nobody can be sure of permanent posting in Secretariats of Delhi. Only top qualified candidates can stay in Delhi.
    (g) However, each of these services is better than State Government service where you are presently working.

• #151707

Extremely disheartened by the allotted points as the cash credit. No use giving accurate and to the point answer. Beating around the bush is the best option.

• #151728
    Diploma holders are not eligible for SSC CGL Posts. For these posts the minimum requirement is Graduation. What I suggest is complete your graduation by joining in a night college or AMIE. Once you obtain the degree you can apply for these posts but again you have to take your age also into consideration. The method given by me is the best suitable option for you. Once you complete this graduation you will be eligible