• Category: Teaching Jobs

Aspiring teacher : Want know about post graduate courses offered by IGNOU for aspring teachers

Have a desire to become a high school teacher after studying engineering? Looking out for PG programs from IGNOU for Bachelors in Education? Scroll through this page and find out how to excel in the teaching field.

I am an engineer, presently working in school as high school teacher. I want know about programmes of IGNOU for aspiring teachers.
    First I want know if I am eligible to be teacher in non technical field like in high school. Since my qualification is degree in engineering.
    Further I want to avail information about any post graduate courses offered by IGNOU for the same which will help me in excelling in teaching field.
  • #151757
    Engineering graduates have to study B. Ed course after completing their B.Tech degree. They can select Mathematics, Sciences and English languages as their specialisation. The admissions in IGNOU will be based on the performance of the individual in the entrance test conducted by the University. After B.Ed even you can do M. Ed also which will allow you to teach B.Ed students also.

• #151764
    For becoming a teacher if you want to do B Ed from IGNOU then you will have to appear for an entrance exam which is taken on all India basis.

The problem is that eligibility to apply for this program is twofold -
    (1) At least 50 percent marks either in the Bachelor's Degree and/or in the Master's Degree in Sciences/Social Sciences/Commerce/Humanity.
    OR
    Bachelor's in Engineering or Technology with specialization in Science and Mathematics with 55% marks.

(2) In-service teachers trained in elementary education.
    OR
    Candidates who have completed a NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education, a statutory body of the Govt of India) recognized teacher education programme.

There are two parts in the eligibility criterion and I am afraid you may not be having the second part so you may not be allowed to appear for this entrance exam.

Still you can cross check it for any exemption if available there by enquiring at their site -
    http://www.ignou.ac.in

• #151773
    A.I want know about programmes of IGNOU for aspiring teachers.

IGNOU has many programs for aspiring teachers with a 12th pass, Bachleor's, Bachelor's+Masters qualification in hand.

1.The basic course IGNOU offers is Certificate in Primary Teaching (CPT). This is for people who have atleast two years of teaching experience and have passed 12th.
    2.The next course is Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed.), for existing teachers with 12th pass and two years or teaching.
    3.The most common course that most teachers complete, especially those who are looking for a Government teacher's job is Bachelor of Education (BEd) - 2 years.
    4.Post Graduate Diploma in Pre-Primary Education (PGDPPED) for gradutes who are keen on teaching at pre-primary level.
    5.Post-Graduate Diploma in Adult Education (PGDAE), for graduates who are into government or NGO groups that are involved in teaching adults or imparting basic education for adults.

B.First I want know if I am eligible to be teacher in non technical field like in high school.
    Since my qualification is degree in engineering.
    You can teach mathematics, chemistry and any core subject that has continued from 12th

C.Further I want to avail information about any post graduate courses
    offered by IGNOU for the same which will help me in excelling in teaching field.

You are keen to excel in the teaching field.
    1. First, it would be wiser to complete your B.Ed.soon via distance mode as you continue to work. The eligibility is Bachelor's in Engineering or Technology with specialization in Science and Mathematics with 55% marks.

2.Since you already have your B.Com, you can finish your Master of Arts(Education) (MA(Edu))from IGNOU ( for this any bachelor's degree is sufficient), then you would be eligible for the NET/SET exam that will enable you to take up teaching at the college level.

3. After this you can consider

a. Post-Graduate Diploma in School Leadership and Management (PGDSLM) - for potential leaders, principals etc.

OR

b. think about a PhD in education Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PHDEDU). All these are available in IGNOU.

• #151791
    My answers are as under:-

1. IGNOU is a UGC-recognised Central University having centres at all state capitals and major cities of India.
    2. It offers many courses. Out of these courses, B.Ed. and M.Ed. degree are very popular among aspiring teachers or people already working as teachers.
    3. Both the B.Ed and the M.Ed courses offered by IGNOU ar entrance-based courses.
    4. In addition to B.Ed and M.Ed courses, IGNOU offers D.El.Ed and PGDAE courses which are also helpful for people aspiring to be primary teachers or adult educators.
    5. As you are holding a Degree of engineering, you may not be eligible to be a regular teacher in schools.
    6. If you want to become a teacher teaching regular courses, I would advise you to first complete Post-Graduation on a regular subject being taught in school by correspondence and then go for B.Ed.
    7. Otherwise, you may try to become a lecturer in an engineering college or polytechnic college.

• #151940
    Here are the list of techning courses :
    (A). D.EL.ED : The full form of this course is Diploma in Elementary Education. This course is 2 year diploma course. This course are for those who wants to become a government teacher. In past, this course known as BTC in UP but from 2017 it is called as D.EL.ED. There you trained about how to teach students and methods of teaching. After completing this course you also need to pass TET and CTET examination for becoming govt. teacher. Eligibility of this course :
    1. This course can be pursued by students who have passed 10+2 (any stream) from a recognized board. The course has been designed to improve the elementary level teacher workforce in India. D.El.Ed. course caters to the needs of elementary level education segment.
    2. Age limit is between 18 to 35.
    3. You have to be citizen of India.

Other courses comes under teaching are B.ed, M.ed, NET, Phd,,etc. For high school teacher one has to secure a degree of Bachelors in Education (B.Ed.). If you want to teach in universities then it is essential for you to clear the exam of NET, National Eligibility Test conducted by University Grants Commission. A degree in graduation is mandatory for teaching nursery and high schools, but one need to be a postgraduate in order to teach students at universities and professional colleges. Phd(Philosphy of doctorate) is for those who wants to teach any particular course.

For distance education IGNOU and NIOS are best university. For regular training these below universities and colleges are best. Annamalai University, Adarsh Vidya Mandir P.G. College, National Council of Teacher Education, Delhi; Guru Gobind Indraprastha University, Delhi; College of Teacher Education (Agartala); Himachal Pradesh University, Adhyapak Vidyalaya Junior College of Education (Mumbai) and more.