• Category: Airlines

How to get airfare concession for senior citizens while booking flight tickets online

Want to avail of online airfare concession for a senior citizen? Seasoned flight travellers will give you the right guidance here.

This is to know how a senior citizen can avail his airfare concession for air journey while booking a ticket online from home.

Air India gives 50% airfare concession to senior citizens and some other airlines like Jet airways give a concession of 10 or 8 percent.

While booking tickets online, there is no provision to indicate that I am a senior citizen and eligible for 50% concession. What to do to get the airfare concession for a senior citizen?

Experienced air travellers may kindly answer to my query.
  • #152710
    Air India offers seniors citizen concession under the 'Other Concessions' category. It is a concessionary fare type booking. Senior citizens will be allowed to travel only within India if booked through the Air India's Concessionary fare type link. They offer 50% off on basic fare. They also offer concessions to students, military personnel, and government employees. Here is the link-http://www.airindia.in/senior-citizen-concession.htm

IndiGo offers 6% off on the base fare to the senior citizens who are above the age of 60 years. Again the offer is valid only on domestic flights. Go through the link www.goindigo.in and avail senior citizen discount.

It is mandatory to carry the documents and ID during the time of check-in. Failure to do so may result in denial of boarding.

• #152715
    While booking online for the air ticket it will ask you absent ur concessions. You wil, find an item other concessions. You have to click on that. In the list you will find senior citizens. You have to click this. Then you will get the concession as offered by the concerned air travel service provider. Air India is providing 50% concession on the basic price. But many other private service providers are giving some concession in the rates. This is a good privilege to the senior citizens to encourage their travel on air.

• #152716
    Mr. Rao,
    I tried to book a ticket online by Air India, There is no provision to indicate that I am a senior citizen.

No life without Sun

• #152719
    Different airlines have different different concessions for senior citizens. There is no uniform code of practices. Most of them will give the concession on the basic fare.

Nowadays due to dynamic fare system the ticket price changes drastically depending upon the passenger rush. I have observed variation in a particular sector ranging from Rs 2700 to 7500 within a few days difference. Then another factor deciding the prices is how many days advance we are booking and what is the time against we are booking. If it is new year, it may not be less price even if booked sufficiently in advance.

The Airlines are not very clear and specific in their rules and regulations, whether they will be giving discounts on these dynamic fares or some other fixed value is also not very clear.

There is lot of confusions in these discounts and no uniform policy is there.

As per their website AirIndia proclaims a 50% discount in their base economy fare in domestic sector for seniors. Indigo Airlines is giving only 6% discounts to seniors. Jet Airways is giving 8% discount. GoAir is also giving 8%.

Most of the airlines give these discounts online. Some of them insist for filling some forms along with supporting documents like Aadhar card etc.

You have to check with a particular airline in this regard for clarity in the matter.

• #152723
    There is very much a provision to select & indicate that the passenger is a senior citizen. This is what you do -
    1. Via the 'Manage a trip' tab at their official website http://www.airindia.in/, click on 'Book a flight'.
    2. Select Journey type (one way or return)
    3. Select the dates.
    4. Next, you will see "Would you like to book as a concessionary Passenger?". Here, check the box, to indicate that you wish to book a ticket as a concessionary passenger.
    5. Then only you will see "Please select your concessionary class" for which there is a drop-down list from which you select 'Senior citizen passenger'.
    6. Select the number of passengers and the cabin type.
    7. Then click on 'Book now'.

Please see the attachment as an example, wherein I chose a Chennai to Bengaluru one-way flight.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Delete Attachment

• #152724
    Since the query also mentions Jet Airways, I checked that Airlines' official website https://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Home.aspx/. There, too, the provision to select ticket booking for a senior citizen is very much there.

I checked out the same one-way flight as Air India, for Chennai to Bengaluru. Please see the attachment, wherein you can see there is 'Senior Citizen' option when you select the number of passengers. I selected that box. Then I selected a date for this month, but a message appeared on the screen that I can book for 14 days later only (not a recent, upcoming date). So, accordingly, I selected for next month, 6th October and the Economy Saver flight, with departure time at 8.20 a.m. The final fare showed as Rs.2,600/- for Economy Saver, 8.20a.m. flight October 6th. Without the concession (when not selecting senior citizen box) the fare showed as Rs.2,730/- for Economy Saver, same time and date.

In a similar manner, you could check out other flight carriers, compare prices and then accordingly book. Keep in mind your budget. Also, consider whether or not you would have a meal on the flight as you could find a flight fare which does not include the meal price and hence the fare would be less.

Delete Attachment

• #152751
    As per Vandana's screenshot you can select senior citizen and go for concession. But I observed by default they give you Super Value - Economy ticket with concession which is equal value of Web Special - Economy for adults. So you see not much of saving. It is better you call their customer service and negotiate if they can book your flight for Web Special - Economy with concession.

• #152768
    Having read the question, I visited the Air India website. An Indian national, senior citizen aged 60 is offered 50% discount of the BASIC FARE only withing India with ID documents for the age etc. The ticket should be booked 7 days before travel and to be used 1 year from the date of issue.
    IMAGE FROM AIR INDIA WEBSITE

Delete Attachment

• #152769

I tried booking Air India tickets online and THERE IS A DROP DOWN MENU FOR CONCESSION.
    Please select 'YES' for the would you like to book as a concessionary passenger? and then SELECT the Senior citizen icon.

IMAGE FROM AIRINDIA WEBSITE ONLINE BOOKING

Delete Attachment

• #152770
    When I checked on Jet Airways,I found some interesting information. If one is interested in Senior citizen discount, it is only 8% concession on the BASIC FARE in economy.

But I found a form from Senior Citizen Card, in JET Airways site, which states that the senior citizen discount in 50% of the basic fare.
    (https://www.jetairways.com/documents/senior-citizen-concession-form.pdf).

If you are a regular air traveller, please check the details from the Jet airways and if it is true about the 50%, it would be worthwhile getting the senior citizen card done.

SpiceJet offers 6% discount on base fare only and booking to be done online only (https://www.spicejet.com/seniorcitizen.aspx).

Instead of relying only on the senior citizen, It would be worthwhile to compare the ticket available and then choose the apex fare(best option fare), this would give a better deal sometimes.