Forums » Education » Improve Your English »

Simple past tense – make sentences with action words

Posted Date: 07 Mar 2013      Posted By:: Sukhdev Singh Profile photo    Member Level: Diamond    Member Rank: 13     Points: 5   Responses: 5

In the earlier threads, we dealt with Simple Present Tense by making sentences with action words and using the verb be {is, am, are} as a state of being verb. Presently, we shall deal with the Simple Past Tense by making sentences using action words in them. Simple Past Tense simply donates a one time past action. We may add adverbs of time to be more specific to show the time of action. We should use 'did' (the past tense of do) to make negative and interrogative sentences by using the main verb in the simple form. Some examples of sentences using the action words in the Simple Past Tense are given below:

The gardener watered the plants.
I made a thread for posting in Forums Section of ISC.
He did not participate in the quiz contest.
Did you send an email to your friend yesterday?
We won the second test match against Australia at Hyderabad.

Members are requested to make minimum five sentences each to practice this grammar lesson.

"Teaching is my passion and sharing knowledge is my motto"
Regards,
Sukhdev Singh
Lead Editor Forums Section

Responses

#404410    Author: Trinadha Rao Sambangi      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 56     Date: 07/Mar/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Dear friend,
Examples:
1) I finished my dinner at 8.30 pm today.
2) I did not take fruits yesterday.
3) We went to nearest town in the morning.
4) My wife brought fruits from market.
5) You did a good job for members.
6) She stopped TV to go for bed.
7) They gave me encouragement in an issue.
8) He did not do well today.
9) It survived me a lot for time pass.

"Education is the movement from darkness to light"

Regards,
3Nadh.

#404462    Author: Sukhdev Singh      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 13     Date: 07/Mar/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Thanks Trinadha Rao Sambangi for making all correct sentences in your response. I wish that some more members should make sentences of similar type so that I can proceed to make a thread for our next lesson on use of Simple Past Tense by making sentences without action words in them.

"Teaching is my passion and sharing knowledge is my motto"
Regards,
Sukhdev Singh
Lead Editor Forums Section

#404480    Author: Sun      Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 10     Date: 07/Mar/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

I loved a lovely girl. I married the same girl. She delivered two to add. My children grew well. They both studied well. We lived a happy life. We also suffered in our life. God showered his grace on us. We got everything now. I joined ISC last year. I earned some cash from ISC. ISC encouraged me to perform well. Idid my best at ISC. Now I forgot my family due to ISC.

Regards,
Sun of ISC - Let us learn good English through ISC

#404482    Author: JyotiS      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 163     Date: 07/Mar/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Here is my approach to simple past tense:

I went for shopping yesterday.
I did my homework before going out to play.
Did you reach school on time?
I wrote a long letter to my best friend.
She ate all the apples.
We played till it was dark outside.
My mom taught me how to make ice-cream.

________
Regards,
JS.

#404542    Author: Sudarmani        Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 554     Date: 08/Mar/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

I wrote an exam yesterday.
I booked a ticket online.
He punished his son for misbehavior.
I didn't reach there in time.
He didn't eat properly last night.

Sudarmani S,
"if the dreams are big enough , the facts don't count"

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Return to Discussion Forum
Start new thread

Awards & Gifts
Active Members
TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.