Forums » Education » Improve Your English »
Fun with vocabulary 1: enrich your writing & speaking skills with more words!
Posted Date: 22 Apr 2013 Posted By:: Vandana Member Level: Platinum Member Rank: 7 Points: 5
This is the first in a series of unique fun activities to increase your vocabulary. You will get points and cash credits for your entries right here in this thread. All members are welcome to participate, including editors. Please read rules & guidelines carefully.
What you have to do:
Given below are 2 words.
First task: You have to make words from these 2 words:
Second task: You have to make a sentence from each of the words you submit. It should be only one sentence using that word in the same format (e.g. if the word is a noun, it should be used in the sentence as a noun).
[I have put it in bold and capital letters for clarity. The words have been selected keeping in mind the summer season is upon us & lots of varied juicy fruits are available to enjoy!]
Rules and Guidelines
1. You must submit only English words. Words in other languages or Indian words (such as Durban or dana or any type of Indian-name food) is not allowed.
2. A member can submit only 2 entries in one response only (post them one below the other in the same response). This is to allow many members to take part.
3. Submit single words only, not double words or hyphenated words.
4. The words you submit should be of 4 letters or more. Less than 4-letter words will not be accepted.
5. Short forms of words, abbreviations, acronyms, SMS type words, brand names, forms of address (such as Sri), slang words, abusive words, vulgar and inappropriate words are not allowed.
6. Check all previous entries before submitting your words. Duplicates are not allowed even if the word has multiple meanings or is both a noun & an adjective, an adverb & a noun, etc. Similarly, if a member has submitted a word in its past tense, you cannot submit the same word in the future tense. You also cannot submit plurals of a word already submitted / singular of a word already submitted. In short, once submitted, the word cannot be submitted again in any other form.
Points and cash awards:
1. For every 4-letter word: 4 points and Rs.4/-
2. For every 5-letter word: 5 points and Rs.5/-
3. For every 6-letter word: 6 points and Rs.6/-
4. For every 7-letter word: 7 points and Rs.7/-
5. For every 8-letter word: 8 points and Rs.8/-
6. For every valid sentence (irrespective of number of letters): Rs.2/-
Special Bonus: If you create a valid word with 9 or more letters, then your points and cash credits for the word (not the sentence) will be doubled. So, for example, if you create a 9-letter word, instead of just 9 points you will get 18 points and instead of just 9/- you will get Rs.18/-. Since the maximum we can give is 20/20, if it is more, it will be credited to your profile page.
As such there is no closing date or time. When most of the words have been submitted, the thread will be locked.
I will not necessarily be monitoring this thread daily, but will credit the points and cash credits when I do check the entries. Members are expected to be honest & not change their entries once submitted.
Remember to read the given words carefully: there is only one E for example, so you cannot submit a word with two Es!
|#415283 Author: Ekta Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 48 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My English word is super-star
and its sentence is:
One who gives extremely famous performance in films is called a super-star.
|#415285 Author: Hermes Member Level: Silver Member Rank: 1002 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
- I was completely unsurprised to find that our team had lost the match.
- As the wall was transparent, we could see everything going on in the other room.
|#415286 Author: Ekta Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 48 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My second entry for this thread is as follows.
My English word is - Frustrate
Sentence - Today everyone is in frustrate condition because of corruption.
|#415294 Author: Ramprasad Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 27 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
word - Abundant
Sentence - During this season an abundant number of crops have been harvested.
sentence - Fruits are good of human health.
There are some things that money just cannot buy, like manners, morals and intelligence.
|#415312 Author: Neha Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 158 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My first entry is-
sentence-The starfruit is one of the most juicy fruit available in the summer season.
My second entry is :-
sentence-The city has become saturated and has no scope for further expansion.
|#415313 Author: Vandana Member Level: Platinum Member Rank: 7 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 2|
@ Ekta: your entries are invalid. Please read the rules. No hyphenated words allowed. You must mention your 2 words in one response. You must use the word in its correct form in the sentence (you have not used the word frustrate correctly).
@ Ramprasad: your entries are invalid. You cannot obviously give the same words as the original.
|#415329 Author: vamshi Member Level: Silver Member Rank: 1781 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
1.)fruitarian :a person who eats only fruit.
sentence:fruitarian diets eliminate gradually this cholesterol buildup.
2.)breadfruit :Breadfruit is a species of flowering tree in the mulberry family, Moraceae, growing throughout Southeast Asia and most Pacific Ocean islands.
sentence :The towering breadfruit tree, which bear a fruit that can be ground into flour, is among the trees there.
Doing what you like is freedom... Liking what you do is happiness
|#415331 Author: Lienda Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 107 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
- I cannot trust you anymore.
- Please wear clean and tidy underpants
"When winter comes, can spring be far behind"
|#415333 Author: Naresh Kumar Behera Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 184 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
1. PROCRASTINATION: Procrastination is one of the dangerous acts in the world.
2. FORTUNETELLER: Last month I met a fortuneteller in the train, on my trip to Hyderabad.
"Ask your query with valid information"
Lead Editor - OrissaSpider.com
|#415340 Author: Sidharth V Menon Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 912 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My words are:
I quiet didn't understand a word that you just said.
This area is under surveillance
Lets all try to create a better tomorrow for India.
|#415343 Author: Sun Member Level: Platinum Member Rank: 10 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
1. Word: Friends
All ISC members are my very good friends.
2. Word: Prudent
One should be very prudent in his deeds and dealings.
Sun of ISC - Let us learn good English through ISC
|#415345 Author: Tulika Devi Nath Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 369 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My first entry is
Sentence-I have lost my golden pendant in the crowd.
My second entry is
Sentence- He remained absent from the meeting due to his illness.
Tulika Devi Nath
|#415347 Author: sajithsankar Member Level: Silver Member Rank: 3567 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
sentence: Strut is an object which is used to suport or strengthen a structure.
sentence: Iam currently holding a debeture of a company
|#415349 Author: Madhvee Chaubey Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 52 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
1. Word: Furniture
Sentence: The benefits of bamboo- made furniture is making it popular among home decorators.
2. Word: Disputant
Sentence: Two disputant started arguing on the street and few in minutes, the place got crowded.
|#415359 Author: Deepika Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 1536 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
1. Restaurant: Mona celebrated her birthday by giving a dinner treat to her friends in nearby restaurant.
2. Aspirated: Sita coughed violently after she aspirated the dirty water.
|#415368 Author: Aasrith Reddy Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 1062 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
Never be a separatist.
Students get frustrated during exams unnecessarily.
|#415379 Author: Bhavani Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 314 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
Following is my contribution:
Appropriate substrate is a primary factor to grow rose plants.
Skimmed milk is advisable to lower cholesterol since it does not contain supernatant fat.
|#415398 Author: Gypsy Member Level: Platinum Member Rank: 9 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My second entry is:
There are no facts; only interpretations!
|#415403 Author: Dhairya Khant Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 145 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
Here are the words,
Sentence: The product provided inadequate vitamin and mineral supplementation.
Sentence: My friend was stopped at the airport by an assistant of superintendent police.
|#415411 Author: M.A. Vimala Member Level: Platinum Member Rank: 8 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
This is my entry
Situated : Tajmahal is situated in Agra.
Stipend : Government have been paying stipend to senior citizen.
|#415423 Author: Farheen Khan Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 478 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My entries for the competition -
1. Inundates : During rainy season this sewer always inundates with water.
2. Fraudsters : The owners of that company are fraudsters.
|#415441 Author: Soumyadip Saha Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 455 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My word for the entry is-
A sentence with this word- Multiple light waves combine with each due to the principle of superposition.
|#415467 Author: POOJA Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 195 Date: 22/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My first entry is
sentence: On exiting the end of the road, enter underpass and take right to reach the school.
My second entry is
sentence: While turning the wooden banisters, I lost my support and fell down the stairs .
|#415473 Author: Bhakti Savla Member Level: Diamond Member Rank: 31 Date: 23/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My entries for this contest are as under:
RUINS: The ruins of few buildings in China were still not cleared several days after the recent earthquake.
SUPERB: During the ongoing IPL season, the arrangements for cricket viewing audience at the stadiums have been simply superb.
Thanks & Best Regards,
|#415498 Author: Shruti Member Level: Gold Member Rank: 1075 Date: 23/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
George Bernard shaw won the nobel prize for his contribution in literature.
mango availability is abundant in summer
|#415503 Author: Pooja Member Level: Silver Member Rank: 1678 Date: 23/Apr/2013 Rating: Points: 0|
My entry is
1. Tabaret- the dress she was wearing was made of tabaret and was looking really pretty on her
2. unsafe- it is really unsafe for girls to travel in Delhi alone in the evening.
| ||This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.|
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...