Forums » Education » Improve Your English »

Fun with vocabulary 1: enrich your writing & speaking skills with more words!

Posted Date: 22 Apr 2013      Posted By:: Vandana       Member Level: Platinum    Member Rank: 7     Points: 5   Responses: 26

This is the first in a series of unique fun activities to increase your vocabulary. You will get points and cash credits for your entries right here in this thread. All members are welcome to participate, including editors. Please read rules & guidelines carefully.

What you have to do:
Given below are 2 words.

First task: You have to make words from these 2 words:

SUPERABUNDANT FRUITS

Second task: You have to make a sentence from each of the words you submit. It should be only one sentence using that word in the same format (e.g. if the word is a noun, it should be used in the sentence as a noun).

[I have put it in bold and capital letters for clarity. The words have been selected keeping in mind the summer season is upon us & lots of varied juicy fruits are available to enjoy!]

Rules and Guidelines
1. You must submit only English words. Words in other languages or Indian words (such as Durban or dana or any type of Indian-name food) is not allowed.

2. A member can submit only 2 entries in one response only (post them one below the other in the same response). This is to allow many members to take part.

3. Submit single words only, not double words or hyphenated words.

4. The words you submit should be of 4 letters or more. Less than 4-letter words will not be accepted.

5. Short forms of words, abbreviations, acronyms, SMS type words, brand names, forms of address (such as Sri), slang words, abusive words, vulgar and inappropriate words are not allowed.

6. Check all previous entries before submitting your words. Duplicates are not allowed even if the word has multiple meanings or is both a noun & an adjective, an adverb & a noun, etc. Similarly, if a member has submitted a word in its past tense, you cannot submit the same word in the future tense. You also cannot submit plurals of a word already submitted / singular of a word already submitted. In short, once submitted, the word cannot be submitted again in any other form.

Points and cash awards:
1. For every 4-letter word: 4 points and Rs.4/-
2. For every 5-letter word: 5 points and Rs.5/-
3. For every 6-letter word: 6 points and Rs.6/-
4. For every 7-letter word: 7 points and Rs.7/-
5. For every 8-letter word: 8 points and Rs.8/-
6. For every valid sentence (irrespective of number of letters): Rs.2/-

Special Bonus: If you create a valid word with 9 or more letters, then your points and cash credits for the word (not the sentence) will be doubled. So, for example, if you create a 9-letter word, instead of just 9 points you will get 18 points and instead of just 9/- you will get Rs.18/-. Since the maximum we can give is 20/20, if it is more, it will be credited to your profile page.

As such there is no closing date or time. When most of the words have been submitted, the thread will be locked.

I will not necessarily be monitoring this thread daily, but will credit the points and cash credits when I do check the entries. Members are expected to be honest & not change their entries once submitted.

Remember to read the given words carefully: there is only one E for example, so you cannot submit a word with two Es!

Regards,
Vandana
ISC Mentor

Responses

#415283    Author: Ekta      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 44     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My English word is super-star
and its sentence is:
One who gives extremely famous performance in films is called a super-star.

#415285    Author: Hermes      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 1001     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. UNSURPRISED
- I was completely unsurprised to find that our team had lost the match.

2. TRANSPARENT
- As the wall was transparent, we could see everything going on in the other room.

#415286    Author: Ekta      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 44     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My second entry for this thread is as follows.

My English word is - Frustrate

Sentence - Today everyone is in frustrate condition because of corruption.

#415294    Author: Ramprasad      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 25     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

word - Abundant
Sentence - During this season an abundant number of crops have been harvested.

word- Fruits
sentence - Fruits are good of human health.

There are some things that money just cannot buy, like manners, morals and intelligence.

#415312    Author: Neha      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 159     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My first entry is-

word-Starfruit
sentence-The starfruit is one of the most juicy fruit available in the summer season.
My second entry is :-

word-saturated
sentence-The city has become saturated and has no scope for further expansion.

Regards
Neha

#415313    Author: Vandana        Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 7     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

@ Ekta: your entries are invalid. Please read the rules. No hyphenated words allowed. You must mention your 2 words in one response. You must use the word in its correct form in the sentence (you have not used the word frustrate correctly).

@ Ramprasad: your entries are invalid. You cannot obviously give the same words as the original.

Regards,
Vandana
ISC Mentor

#415329    Author: vamshi      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 1777     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1.)fruitarian :a person who eats only fruit.
sentence:fruitarian diets eliminate gradually this cholesterol buildup.
2.)breadfruit :Breadfruit is a species of flowering tree in the mulberry family, Moraceae, growing throughout Southeast Asia and most Pacific Ocean islands.
sentence :The towering breadfruit tree, which bear a fruit that can be ground into flour, is among the trees there.

Regards
vamshi
Doing what you like is freedom... Liking what you do is happiness

#415331    Author: Lienda      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 88     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. Trust
- I cannot trust you anymore.

2. Underpants
- Please wear clean and tidy underpants

Regards
Lienda
"When winter comes, can spring be far behind"

#415333    Author: Naresh Kumar Behera      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 188     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. PROCRASTINATION: Procrastination is one of the dangerous acts in the world.
2. FORTUNETELLER: Last month I met a fortuneteller in the train, on my trip to Hyderabad.

"Ask your query with valid information"
Lead Editor - OrissaSpider.com

#415340    Author: Sidharth V Menon      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 967     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My words are:

1 UNDERSTAND

I quiet didn't understand a word that you just said.

2 AREA

This area is under surveillance

Lets all try to create a better tomorrow for India.

#415343    Author: Sun      Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 10     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. Word: Friends
All ISC members are my very good friends.
2. Word: Prudent
One should be very prudent in his deeds and dealings.

Regards,
Sun of ISC - Let us learn good English through ISC

#415345    Author: Tulika Devi Nath      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 368     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My first entry is

Word-pendant

Sentence-I have lost my golden pendant in the crowd.

My second entry is

Word-Absent

Sentence- He remained absent from the meeting due to his illness.

Regards,
Tulika Devi Nath

#415347    Author: sajithsankar      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 3558     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1.Strut:
sentence: Strut is an object which is used to suport or strengthen a structure.
2.Debenture
sentence: Iam currently holding a debeture of a company

#415349    Author: Madhvee Chaubey      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 52     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. Word: Furniture

Sentence: The benefits of bamboo- made furniture is making it popular among home decorators.

2. Word: Disputant

Sentence: Two disputant started arguing on the street and few in minutes, the place got crowded.

Regards,
Madhvee

#415359    Author: Deepika      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 1531     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My entry

1. Restaurant: Mona celebrated her birthday by giving a dinner treat to her friends in nearby restaurant.

2. Aspirated: Sita coughed violently after she aspirated the dirty water.

Regards,
Deepika

#415368    Author: Aasrith Reddy      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 1061     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1) SEPARATIST
Never be a separatist.

2) FRUSTRATED
Students get frustrated during exams unnecessarily.

-Aasrith Reddy

#415379    Author: Bhavani      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 316     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

Following is my contribution:

1. Substrate
Appropriate substrate is a primary factor to grow rose plants.

2. Supernatant
Skimmed milk is advisable to lower cholesterol since it does not contain supernatant fat.

#415398    Author: Gypsy      Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 9     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1. Interstrands

2. Unrestraints

My second entry is:

1. Unsurprised

2. Unsaturated

Regards.

-----------------------------------------------
There are no facts; only interpretations!
-----------------------------------------------

#415403    Author: Dhairya Khant      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 143     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

Here are the words,
1. Supplementation:
Sentence: The product provided inadequate vitamin and mineral supplementation.
2. Superintendent:
Sentence: My friend was stopped at the airport by an assistant of superintendent police.

#415411    Author: M.A. Vimala      Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 8     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

This is my entry

Situated : Tajmahal is situated in Agra.

Stipend : Government have been paying stipend to senior citizen.

#415423    Author: Farheen Khan      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 481     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My entries for the competition -

1. Inundates : During rainy season this sewer always inundates with water.

2. Fraudsters : The owners of that company are fraudsters.

Regards,
Farheen

#415441    Author: Soumyadip Saha      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 459     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My word for the entry is-
Superposition

A sentence with this word- Multiple light waves combine with each due to the principle of superposition.

With Regards
Soumyadip Saha

#415467    Author: POOJA      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 198     Date: 22/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My first entry is

word: Underpass

sentence: On exiting the end of the road, enter underpass and take right to reach the school.

My second entry is

word: Banisters

sentence: While turning the wooden banisters, I lost my support and fell down the stairs .

Regards,
Pooja.

#415473    Author: Bhakti Savla      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 36     Date: 23/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My entries for this contest are as under:

RUINS: The ruins of few buildings in China were still not cleared several days after the recent earthquake.

SUPERB: During the ongoing IPL season, the arrangements for cricket viewing audience at the stadiums have been simply superb.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Bhaktee

#415498    Author: Shruti      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 1074     Date: 23/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

1.Bernard
George Bernard shaw won the nobel prize for his contribution in literature.

2. abundant
mango availability is abundant in summer

#415503    Author: Pooja      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 1674     Date: 23/Apr/2013   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 0

My entry is
1. Tabaret- the dress she was wearing was made of tabaret and was looking really pretty on her

2. unsafe- it is really unsafe for girls to travel in Delhi alone in the evening.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Next : Though it should be double V, why we call W as double you ?
Previous : How to improve writing and listening skills
Return to Discussion Forum
Post New Message
Category: Improve Your English

Related Messages

Awards & Gifts
Active Members
TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.