You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Announcements

Guess the Author contest alert and feedback (updated 25th June)

Once the third creative writing contest closes, on the last Sunday of this month I will be announcing the 'Guess the Author' contest. I have already taken the first step, by sending out emails to those members selected to be the authors.

This thread is to alert everyone to:
    (i) Please check your emails for communications from me. If you are agreeable, then only I will let you know what topic to write on. Do not mention in this thread that you received the communication though! That would give away the fact that you are one of the authors.

(ii) Be prepared on 26th June to log in after 11a.m. and check the contest announcement thread.

As per feedback given by members, this time it will be kept simple. No ghost authors since apparently members are frightened of those creepy white figures!! The text of all the authors will be put in the contest thread only & you have to send me your guesses of who wrote which write-up. Complete instructions will be given in the contest announcement thread.

Update - 25/06/2016
    The rewards system:
    You will get 5 points and 2cc for a right guess. If you are a participant, obviously you will know which one you wrote. Hence, no points and cc will be given for that 'guess'. However, to make up for that, you need to make an additional guess (see the contest announcement tomorrow).

The rewards:
    Once the points are tallied, the one who gets the highest will be given the Forum Champ prize of Rs.50/-. Up to 3 members maximum can each get this cash prize, based on who sent them first. That is, if 3 members get equal points, all these 3 will get 50cc. Next highest tallied points will get Rs.40 [up to 2 members only]. So even if you are the 4th and 5th in line to get the most right, then you get Rs.40 or if you are the next highest points scorer. Then will follow Rs.30cc for the next highest scorer [1 member only].
    Eagerly waiting for the contest. I am glad that Ms. Vandana has discarded the concept of ghost author, because I feel that very few Members of ISC have developed their own distinctive writing skill, which can be identified by other Members. So, there is no need to further complicating this interesting contest.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

It would be nice to participate in a good contest where there is no ghost. However, I suggest that after displaying the messages of the members, a list of authors should also be placed with one or two dummy authors. Merely leaving it to guess the author members may prove futile.

If there are 5 messages from 5 authors, the authors list should contain the names of 6 to 8 authors to confuse the member participants. If done, this will be an interesting contest to participate. I think ME will take note of this point into consideration and implement it while announcing the contest. Then, it would be an easy cum tough contest.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

I feel that if a list of names are given, it would kill the mystery of guessing the author since then it would be like giving the game away, making it obvious that within the list are the authors.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Madam,
    I agree. ISC has vast number of members. Even in forum itself there are oldies and newbies with extraordinary writing skill. Hence, the competition will be very tough to guess the author. In that case, the guess of the ghost author would have been much better than this blind author. Anyway, I suggested what I felt. The rest is yours, being an authority. All the best.

No life without Sun ¤

Well, it would be a great contest to look forward to. The veterans in this site should be clearly in the position to understand the names of the authors.
    Live....and Let Live...!

Progress report: I have received 3 write-ups on the topics provided to the selected authors. Awaiting the remaining!
    Regards,
    Vandana

Update: I have received all the write-ups. Now just pray to the Net & power Gods up there that I am able to announce the contest tomorrow after 11a.m.!!

Note that the contest will be open for the entire day, till 12midnight (IST). Do not make undue haste in sending your entries as only one entry will be allowed & if you send a second email entry it will not be considered at all. Read all the instructions carefully before you send off the email entry.

This thread will be kept open for everyone to give their feedback afterwards. That is, give your feedback on the contest only after it closes.

Have fun!

Regards,
    Vandana

Vandana,
    Alas! It was not as expected. The contest should have been closed at midnight 2359 hrs yesterday Sunday the 26th June.

I think the time of 12 hours to think and post is inadequate to participate. It should have been minimum 24 hrs and maximum 48 hours for the members to respond. Most of our members might be enjoying their Sunday holiday with no time to click at ISC in the pm hrs.

My humble request:
    Kindly extend the time until 27th June(When the date changes to 28th June) to allow time for our members to post their responses.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

No extensions for this type of a contest. Note the date of this thread, with sufficient advance intimation of the contest date.

I do not think we should have any more guess the author type contests since so few members are interested in it - 9 members last time, 6 this time.

Regards,
    Vandana

The responses are truly lukewarm. Only six participants! Not good at all!
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Vandana,
    You are wrong and mistaken. You should have considered the day. Sunday being a holiday, many might be sparing their time for caring their own business. All may not wait for an ISC contest to participate. What is the problem in giving enough time for the members to respond? What is there in it? More than any other contest, this contest involves study and analysis to know the writing style of members. It is really a Herculean task to read and guess the author.

Look at the responses to your Me, a .......... contest. What a lovely response from members! Members had one week time to think and post. What is the hurry in it? It is not a treasure hunt type contest to limit the time.

If you expect more participants in a contest, give more time to the members. All may not be free to see ISC on Sundays.

I am sure, even all the 5 participant authors (the authors of the write-ups)may not be present among the 6 members responded in this contest. What to talk about other members?

You should now create a special thread to know the reasons for the lukewarm responses and non participation of members (the authors as well the members) to your great GA contest.

No life without Sun ¤

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.