You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Champions Trophy Hockey: Australia won the gold, India won the heart!

Indian Hockey Team has made the nation proud! In the Champions Trophy, the team led by Sardar Singh has made the nation proud by its best-ever performance and won the silver. The team played brilliant hockey throughout the tournament. In the final held on 17th June, 2016, the match ended in a goal-less draw. But Australia won the match in a penalty shoot-out, where a goal scored by the Aussies was very controversial. India coach Roelant Oltmans has been delighted at his team's outstanding performance in the Champions Trophy and said it would boost their confidence to produce a better show at the Rio Olympic Games.

Like millions of hockey-lovers in the country, I pray that Indian team continues its brilliant performance and wins medal in the oncoming Rio Olympics.
    It is indeed a great job done by our Hockey team and they deserve the praising. Even though they lost the final match against Australia but they have not given up so easily. The match went to for shoot out is itself says the powerful performance done by our Hockey team.

All the best and good luck to them for the Olympic. We all want them to bring back the same old glorious days.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

I am extremely pleased by the performance of the team. If the team continues this performance, medal would be a reality. But I feel sorry that this brilliant performance has not been discussed by the media! Why there is so much neglect of hockey. Why so much precedence is given to cricket at the cost of other sports?
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

India's hockey team had won gold medal at Olympics in the year 1928, 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956 and then again in the year 1964 after a gap in the year 1960 when only a silver medal could be won. The medal winning spree continued with bronze medals in the year 1968 and 1972 followed by a gold again in the year 1980 after a gap with seventh position in the year 1976 . However after that we are consoling ourselves with positions like 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 12th etc. The worst scenario was witnessed in the year 2008 at Beijing Olympics when we could not even qualify.
    In view of the above record, we will have to wait and watch till the forthcoming Olympics is concluded.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As a hockey fan, the one thing that attracted me was that in this champions trophy, Indian coach Roelant oltmans decided to rest the main players like Sardar Singh( well sir you have mentioned sardar led side but sardar Singh was rested in the whole tournament), rupinderpal Singh and decided to test the inexperienced ones to make the best team for the Olympics.
    Yet they clinched a silver and almost clinched a gold.
    At one point of time they had 60% of possession against the mighty Aussies. That's incredible.
    They also saved 10 penalty corners.
    So i think now,
    the Indian hockey team is a serious Olympic medal contender.

Its a great discussion

Australia is king in Cricket and Hockey and nobody can beat them that is proved Azlan shah hockey tournament held in Malaysia recently. At that time Indian hockey fans told the polygraph turf as a reason for India's failure now they are telling reason that Australians cheating in the game
    If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

Mr. Bhushan, I am sorry to say that you have a pessimistic attitude. Yes, to some people, Australia is currently no. 1 in cricket and in hockey (although I have doubt), but the ranking doesn't mean that Aussies are unbeatable. Please remember, Australia has become no. 1 by defeating/replacing earlier no. 1 team.

I advise you to come out of your pessimistic attitude towards life.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Wow what a nice caption which forces every one to pat our Hockey team for its formidable performance and could win Silver for the country. No matter India stood runner up , but the way the players played and lived up to the expectations of the fans shows that the future is very bright. But for the controversial penalty shoot out decision, the team almost won the game and that was a magical moment in the history of hockey. My appreciation and word of complements to team captain Sardar Singh for giving right tips, thrusting right moves of players which made the entire tournament a wonderful treat to the eyes of hockey lovers. Surely future is bright.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments