You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Teaching maths and getting irritated ,how to be patient with a younger sibling,cousin or any child?

Their are situation when we get chance to teach someone not necessarily their own kids, but other kids specially younger ones.
    Recently my aunt asked me to teach my cousin maths durring her holidays who is studying in 9th standard and its really very difdicult for her to understand maths as she really don't like the subject and most of her concepts are not clear also.
    When someone asks to teach their children either as a tution or children of relatives, and when somebody teaches for first time its really very difficult to teach child with patience.
    Specially when a child don't understand the point even after telling 2-3 times child asks same doubts then patience level begins to fade away.
    Have you ever taught children other then your own kids ?
    How was your experience?
    How did you maintained patience level.
    Some children have less concentration and less grasping power. It is very common that a child won't understand it at a very first instance. Some will have hatred towards maths and that hatred itself will be the reason for kids to concentrate. But we should try not to lose our patience. Such kids require time to learn and need to taught with love. If we lose our patience, we raise our voice and that will make them nervous and they will even more lose concentration. Also they might lose their self confidence thinking they are slow nervous. As a child, if they are slow to learn then we as a elder will know it and we should make the kid understand. We should cope up with the speed of the kid.

There much have a good relationship between the learned and teacher.Sometime we found some lapse between them as the teacher unaware how to teach/convince to their students and also learned can't entangle what the teacher said.
    Whatever it might be maths,science or any subject which try to teach to their native child or any professional student happening patience will cure if the learned is understood very clearly form grass root level .

The first and foremost requirement of teaching maths is that the teacher should have his/her concept and fundamentals very clear . Maths cannot be learnt by rote learning method. Also it is not possible to totally transform an individual by taking tuition in class IX without taking into stock of the situation as to what the student has learnt so far prior to reaching class IX.
    Math cannot be taught on ad-hoc basis temporarily. During a very short period only the questions given to the student as a part of home work can be solved by the tuition teacher in disguise of teaching.
    Math is learnt in a structured manner since class I onward. Any student can be made to understand maths by doing reverse engineering i.e. by teaching him/her first the previous classes courses followed by the contemporary course.
    A subject is never complicated. It is the competence of the teacher to let the student understand the underlying concepts by explaining the same in a manner in which the student can comprehend the same.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash sir Its not that she is doesn't understand maths she completely understans and grasp what ever the concept.
    But the thing is she thinks maths is a difficult subject and even if she understands after doing some question she makes lots of excuses that she is not able to do those questions and don't understands.
    Its hard to convince her a moment earlier she can explain everything clearly and after sometime she acts like everything is vanished from her mind.
    What to do with such stuborness??

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

I can understand the author's dilemma when asked to tell tuition but at the same time the candidate is not interested. In this regard I am able to recollect a scene from a Tamil film where in the father is the big Zamindar and gives lots of pampering to his only son who is not interested to study but pose that he knows everything. When the mid results are declared he gets less marks and that force the father to hire a tuition teacher. But the father is very particular about son's performance and warns that if he gets lesser mark in the finals, then tuition sir would be responsible. As expected the boy wont score any mentionable marks and thus the tuition teacher was punished for failing to get the mark. What I mean to say before accepting any tuition it is the duty of every teacher to see that the student is capable of any progress ,otherwise tuition teacher will be blamed for no progress.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Neelam (#568209) - I think in such cases, the student has to be taught something more than mathematics. Examples from the family/relative/friends circle may be cited about the individuals who did hard work in studying and are now leading a happy and content life by occupying high positions. The children should be exposed to the real life situations in which hard work in studies paid dividend. Earlier in the past, most of girls were never taught about the real objectives and importance/significance of education. They used to acquire degrees for cosmetic purposes only and with a view to acquire capability to read and write. Only after realizing that an educated women can earn and thereby raise the standard of her own and her future family's life, a girl student is likely to develop serious interest in studies.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think there are 2 things going on in the child's mind. One is that she's got into her mind that maths is tough or something negative when it is not. This is seen from the fact she is able to grasp quickly. The second is probably a result of the first, causing short attention span.

I would assume the 'classroom' is free from distractions/interruptions from others in the house or TV or whatever, but is conducive for teaching. If not, keep a special place and make sure others in the home do not interfere in any way and turn off the TV for that one hour or so. You the teacher will also need to keep mobile and other things aside till after class. This way the class time, the teacher and the student gets respected.

You could try out some ideas and see which works good. Keep a list of other ideas too, so what doesn't work now may work at a later stage. Hopefully doing this over a few weeks could bring positive change and progress. Remember to always have a sense of humor and upbeat atmosphere and show appreciation for any improvement.

Let her do maths for say 10 -15 minutes. Then give a short break of 2 minutes using a timer or countdown clock. Then get back for another session for 10-15 minutes and so on. What you do in the 2 minute period depends on the student but specifically away from school table:
    -- It can be a quick spurt of vigorous exercise activity – dance steps or jumping jacks etc.
    -- A quick walk around the house if possible but back in 120 seconds limit
    -- Play with pets
    -- Watch 2 minutes only of a video not seen before
    -- Eat only one salted peanut, keeping a bunch for reward at the end of a certain progress achieved

You can change the time and what to do anyway to what suits the situation. I have done such things successfully with some students while teaching them. It was tough until I changed the way I taught, and chopped the day's goal into 4-5 smaller parts. Sometimes I would change without notice also, so the student didn't know what to expect but could look forward to something interesting suddenly. It provided lots of motivation for the students to keep reaching those shortened goals several times a day. The 2 minute break helped to defuse my tension too. Everybody happy and progress made.

Neelam your thread has taken me back to the days when I first started teaching maths to middle school children. I was not used to teaching such a young age group before. Plus I had actually applied for science post, but they requested if I could teach maths and I thought since I love maths so much, why not teach it.
    Well after a week I must say I was totally frustrated and flabbergasted. How could some kids fail to grasp something that was so obvious to me??? How could they fail to grasp such basic concepts. While I was flabbergasted, I was never angry and almost never ever impatient. If you are open and ready to explain again and again, students will also be open and ready to learn and ask doubts. If you show impatience they will shut off from you as well as the subject. If after 2-3 times they are not understanding then laugh it off and try explaining using a different strategy or example.
    Another thing I understood was that we should not expect someone who is learning a concept for the first time to have as much clarity as us, who have known the concept since ages. One needs to see things from the students point of view. I understand from what you said that your student is able to understand and solve in first go but gives up when asked to do more questions of the same type. Well that is probably happening because she is receiving some help from you in the first question or simply following your pattern of solving the first question. But is unable to apply the basics to other questions. It's simply because she hasn't really grasped the concept completely.
    Another factor in this case seems to be basic concepts. If the student is in class 9 and hates maths then most likely her fear has originated from poor concepts in previous classes. Maths is a subject which is entirely built upon prior knowledge. Class 9 maths is not very easy, and if basics are missing it will seem like a nightmare. So I would suggest you try to identify where her basics are lacking and try and fix those first. I have seen students of class 7/8 struggle with simple concept of carry over during addition or borrowing during subtraction. Then how can we expect them to grasp the concept of percentages or mensuration? So check her for her basics in addition subtraction multiplication division factors and multiples, fractions and decimals. Only after that move ahead.
    In the end I would advise you to be patient. Continue to be patient and encouraging until finally your student decides to give maths a real try, if for nothing else than for your sake at least. Trust me it works. I have seen students with stubborn jeering attitude completely turn around and become one of the most sincere and hard working students. All they need is tender love and care and the confidence in their heart that their teacher believes in them, that she/he thinks they can achieve all heights.
    So build your students confidence, give her easy tasks and then compliment her genuinely when she completes them. She will slowly warm up to maths as well.

Regards,
    Farheen

Teaching the child who is doing secondary education is a very difficult task. As mentioned by some members earlier, the entry behavior of the student is very important. Without the basic knowledge which the student is supposed to have, it is difficult to go on further.
    You have mentioned that the concepts which look so simple to you are not understood by the student even after repeating it. The most important thing to remember while teaching is that what looks simple to you may not necessarily be so simple to the student. You have to come down to the level of the student to teach him and make him understand the lesson. This is one mistake majority of the teachers commit. Always teach the students at their level but not at yours. Do not teach to your satisfaction but to the satisfaction of the student. Most important thing to remember is to have patience while teaching. Getting irritated is not going to help the teacher or the student.

With regards

" Be Good and Do Good "

Well interesting topic for discussion. I was also a part of this teaching profession and I'm always passionate about teaching. I would like to share some of my views on this. It is quite common that kids will not have concentration on the work that they do. They will have wandering mind all the time. That is the same in our case as well when we were kids. I even had the same difficulty in making the subject interesting for them when it is actually not interesting.

What I used to do is to take them to some random topic or discussion that is not even relevant to maths or the subject that I was about to teach them. If there is a session with them I hardly speak just 10 mins about maths and the remaining time about something that they are interested to talk. I will make the class interactive so that when there is an interaction in the class and that too on the topic that interests everyone, they will give one hundred percent concentration. So that is the right opportunity for us. So I will stop them right there and speak about the subject for some time. And when I again see they move away from the subject, I will again make the class interactive with some other topic.

This is obviously a time consuming method but in the middle when they give their 100 percent focus on the subject, you can feed them anything and it will be strongly registered in their mind. That is when we will have to put all important and basic concepts in their mind.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

Sign In to post your comments