You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Ahead of international yoga day, lets know the real meaning of om.

International yoga day is tomorrow and the whole world is excited about it. In some countries it has started. But there was a debate to whether to make om mandatory. Well the first thing is that you should not make anything mandatory.
    And secondly, this debate went on because people with religion other than Hinduism refuse to recite om. But the reality is that om is not a belief, it is not related to Hinduism,Buddhism and Jainism.
    Om is considered the source of all creation, the infinite, cause of the universe, atman(self,soul) , Brahman(ultimate reality).
    Even Hinduism is considered not a religion, but a way of life.
    Om is not religious, but spiritual. If one is religious, it means he believes in something, but didn't experienced it. If one is spiritual, first he realizes that doesn't not know anything but afterwards he doesn't believe, but experience the ultimate reality.

Om is a cosmic sound which is made up of 3 syllables - A U M.
    When you utter om you will realize that it is a natural sound and it has nothing to do with any religion.
    And also yoga, is not just about doing only asana, but effects your mental, physical, and spiritual being. There are various practices by which one can reach his or her ultimate potential and realize and experience the divine. Yoga means union.
    Just as everyone is practicing yoga besides there religion, one should realize that om is the source of there own creation.
    One can prefer to talk to a realized yogi or read his or her teachings for the detail of this topic.

Thank you
    Some of the people say that yoga is spreading of religion,so for this matter how far can you clarify it......I am not objecting your word but I want to know the clarifications of my matter

As far as celebration of International Day of Yoga on 21st June is concerned, that has got nothing to do with the sound and meaning of 'OM'. Also, as far as I know, the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India , the nodal ministry looking after yoga and naturopathy, has also never commented about 'OM' etc.
    Recently Baba Ramdev has stated at a yoga camp in Dubai that one has option of chanting either 'OM' or 'Amin'. I don't know if his statement had anything to do with the expansion of his FMCG empire.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Interesting answer by Kailash Kumar. I started laughing seeing the answer. He is quite true that OM has nothing to do with International Yoga Day. But there is a lot of significance if you combine OM with your daily yoga.

All you can do is relate OM with meditation as there are some actual relation between meditation and OM. Some of the significance of OM are as follows:

1) You will be able to get good peace of mind if you continuously listen to OM.
    2) If you are not good in getting to meditation state because of the hindrances from the surrounding, you will be able to easily get it by chanting OM.
    3) In ancient days, Yogis and Rishis used Omkaram as their sound when performing meditation in the forest for many years.
    4) OM sound is considered to be the sound of the universe where you will get a direct connection between the ultimate consciousness if you understand it well.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

Sign In to post your comments