You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why people treat a caught thief as an inhuman being?

I have noticed that when a thief is caught by the people, they don't treat him/her as a human being. The humanity and human rights gets evaporated and people start thrashing the thief as if he/she is a different creature or an animal. During discussions also the people refer the individual a 'thief' as if the thief belongs to some other species. Even the passersby or those who are not concerned at all with the theft case, find it as their duty to thrash the individual. Though finally the police takes over the case, but prior to handing over to the police, the mob takes law into their hands and try to teach the thief few lessons to remember the same for future. Perhaps the main professional hazard to the criminals like thief etc. is the apprehension of being caught by the mob.
    Why people treat a caught thief as an inhuman being?
    Nowadays it may not be possible to beat even a thief, because most probably the thieves function under their union/association. If a thief is beaten black and blue, the union may take up the matter with the elected representatives, police or even judiciary and the person who had earlier beaten the thief, may be taken to task for taking law in his own hands. Everything is possible!
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I do pity for the thieves who are caught red handed and nicely given dressing down by the onlookers and furious mob. Once near Monda Market in Secunderabad, a thief stole a money purse from a lady and run away. It is the crowded area and on her shouting, people gave chase and caught him. He was tied to the lamp post and first the lady thrashed him. then one after other thrashed him mercilessly and one person even hit him with big stone. Please remember all this done without police knowledge. When the police came, the person was almost dead with so much blood on his body. Fortunately Police did not hit him and taken him to hospital first for treatment and then produced him before media and sent him to judicial custody. Some thieves are first hand catch and they do not know how to escape and for them the life would be miserable if caught and thrashed.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Even I ahve felt the same so many time, as you said when a single thief get caught by mob, then only mob get violated, but imagine in other case, a person is having a knife or a pistol, and make fear of 100 people, no body dare to catch him although there are hundreds of people watching this things, it clearly indicate that mob always wanted to overcome their home and personal tension at that thief, after getting caught without any arms or ammunition.
    Just keep that thief and ask individual person to come one by one, then definitely they will hesitate, the mob never wanted to solve the problem, they just try to show what they cant show in front of their families and children, I really hate those people.

In places like Mumbai, many innocent persons would have lost their money, ornaments, materials and would have suffered from unexpected situations. Only the victims know what and how they suffered from the loss. They would have undergone such loss even more than once. So they just could not forget that bad event(s).
    So when a thief is caught, they lose their ration, sympathy and human kindness but recall how they suffered. That suppressed anguish makes them 'repay', which in their situation is just to give a kick or spit or catching the thief's hair and hitting him. It is just venting their hitherto suppressed anger and helplessness. Acting on the spur of the moment.

Nowadays just hearing or reading some news in the social media even the well educated people also raise their voice and march to the streets demanding the 'crimnal' to be handed over to them ' or cry for his 'hanging' .

In the former situation it is those who had suffered at least once who do the beating. But in the latter those who did not suffer also sit in judgement and cause injury to the one who is yet to be tried and proved guilty. We are turning more and more inhuman. Regret.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

When a mob get crowded , and started beating a thief, all of them have not suffered from the same situations, most of them might not be aware about the exact cause, they just want to show their anger and power in front of others and found that the guilty thief is alone and powerless now.
    Have you ever heard ( not commonly), common man help police to catch terrorist and help police to control the mob. No because they do not want to put their life in danger.
    It is true that the thief is a criminal and should get punished, but mob should not start beating, they should hand over to police, and should inquiry whether he get the right charged and sent to jail or not?

The mob mentality is the prime reason for such attitude. The mob takes law into their hands and treat the culprit in an inhuman manner. The police should take timely and severe action to prevent such things happening. The laxity of the police also helps in such happenings.
    With regards

" Be Good and Do Good "

@ K.V. Raghava Rao, we should not blame police and their department for such incident. They are not God, they should informed from any one of the victim, or from the crowd, normally the person who have failed in life they start beating first, and they have nothing to do. So they do not want police to come at right time. Because they can not beat any one any where, they get a chance, most of them are not actually aware what the thief has theft? And by seeing many people are beating they also started. What ever might be , thief should get punished as per the law.

This topic brings into memory a recent ad I had seen about a popular serial named 'Adalat,' where the people raising slogans are shouting for justice.Suddenly,a man starts to lift a stone and throw it on the criminal in order to hurt him when his hand is caught by the lawyer.
    He shouts at him," Hamein insaaf chahiye!" to which the lawyer replies,"insaaf milega".The man angrily replies ,"ap court hain kya?" to which he replies,"ap judge hain kya?"
    People take matters into their own hands many a time and mishandle the thief or criminal before handing him over to the police. In my opinion,if a thief has been caught and he has returned the stolen items,he should be admonished and taken to the police station for warnings instead of shaming and harming him in public.Some people steal out if necessity while some out of habit or business.If he or she stole out of necessity,people should extend some help and send them to relief homes in order to take them away from the cause if stealing.

Regards,
    ar
    "If things go wrong, don’t go with them"

This topic brings into memory a recent ad I had seen about a popular serial named 'Adalat,' where the people raising slogans are shouting for justice.Suddenly,a man starts to lift a stone and throw it on the criminal in order to hurt him when his hand is caught by the lawyer.
    He shouts at him," Hamein insaaf chahiye!" to which the lawyer replies,"insaaf milega".The man angrily replies ,"ap court hain kya?" to which he replies,"ap judge hain kya?"
    People take matters into their own hands many a time and mishandle the thief or criminal before handing him over to the police. In my opinion,if a thief has been caught and he has returned the stolen items,he should be admonished and taken to the police station for warnings instead of shaming and harming him in public.Some people steal out if necessity while some out of habit or business.If he or she stole out of necessity,people should extend some help and send them to relief homes in order to take them away from the cause of stealing.

Regards,
    ar
    "If things go wrong, don’t go with them"

Sign In to post your comments