You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Nowadays Civil Services toppers aren't interested in Foreign Service!

Tina Dabi and J&K's Athar Aamir Ul Shafi Khan have been allotted the prestigious Indian Administrative Service (IAS). The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has allocated various services to 902 successful candidates. 178 have got IAS, 138 Indian Police Service (IPS), 43 Indian Forest Service (IFS) and 543 others have been allocated different Group 'A' & 'B' services.

In this connection, it is relevant to recall that Delhi-based Tina Dabi, Khan and Jasmeet Singh Sandhu, another Delhiite, topped the Civil Services Examination, 2015. Tina, Khan and Sandhu have secured first, second and third position respectively.

I am really astonished to note that nowadays Civil Services toppers are not interested to join Indian foreign Service. During last two years also, I observed the same trend. I fail to understand the logic behind this trend!
    The getting of top rank is different and getting desired appointment in desired department is different. It all depends on lobbying and luck factor to get job assignment even after securing rank.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I strongly differ. The toppers in the Civil Services Exam. can chose any Service. Here the basic issue is that none of the toppers is interested in Foreign Service. Earlier majority of the top 20 candidates used to opt for Foreign Service. I want to know the reason of this change of mindset.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Some of the distinguished former IFS officers are/had been K. R. Narayanan, the tenth President of India, Mohammad Hamid Ansari, the 12th and current Vice President of India, K. Natwar Singh, a former Union cabinet minister, Meira Kumar, the first woman Speaker of Lok Sabha and Brajesh Mishra, the Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's principal secretary and National Security Adviser.
    Within India the IFS officers can rise up to the rank of the foreign secretary of India and while posted abroad, they can rise up to the rank of an ambassador or high commissioner or permanent representative in a foreign mission.
    However all of them are not likely to become ambassadors of India to USA, UK, Australia, Geneva or Paris. There are about 162 Indian missions abroad including in the countries where terrorism always remain at its peak and the respective countries are perennially infested with instability, crime and wars. I think the declining interest of the civil service rank holders in IFS is because of the hassles involved with the posting in difficult terrain.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments