You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is Nuclear Test Ban Treaty(NBT)?

As I remember when Pokran tests was conducted by India the United nations ask Vajpayee government to sign in Nuclear Test ban treaty as the Vajpayee government denied to sign on that and promise that no first use of such nuclear weapons in war. Is Nuclear Test ban treaty is still alive or it is not there. If Nuclear Test ban treaty is there what is NSG (Nuclear Supplier Group). Why United states change their stand to vote in favor of India? Is it because of FDI's?Knowledgeable members can respond to this question
    The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) is a treaty under which the participating countries agree that they will not carry out nuclear explosions either for military purposes or for civilian purposes.
    Under Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT), the non-nuclear nations are prohibited from possessing, manufacturing or acquiring nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices. All signatories of NPT whether nuclear countries or non-nuclear countries are supposed to commit the goal of total nuclear disarmament. India, Pakistan and Israel have not so far signed NPT.
    CTBT has not yet come into force as eight nations - China, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, United States are required to take further action.
    Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) is a group of nuclear supplier countries, who subscribe to the policy of nuclear non- proliferation. Thus the countries who have not yet signed NPT including India are being opposed to enter into NSG.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) is a legally binding global ban on nuclear explosive testing and the final step in the vision laid out fifty years ago by the US President John F. Kennedy. The CTBT was opened for signature in 1996.

On the other hand, Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) is a group of nuclear supplier countries, who subscribe to the policy of nuclear non- proliferation. Thus the countries who have not yet signed NPT are being resisted to enter into NSG. India has not yet signed NPT because of various discriminatory clauses.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Yes, this NBT nuclear test ban treaty means that there should be no nuclear tests by the governments as it releases alot of compounds which harm the ozone layer.

India had to test its nuclear weapon, and so it did despite of UN's request which made India a super power.
    No FDI is not the only reason behind america supporting India. Actually USA is keeping an eye on ASIA and it needs to surround asia from all sides as it already has Pakistan bases and Afghanistan and all the middle east, and china is never going to make america happy so India is the place where USA is trying to keep its missiles and bases, also our Super- Intelligent Prime minister even allowed USA to use Indian bases if you are aware of the fact recently, this is going to bring devastating effects in our country as we know for a fact that wherever US soldiers put their feet, that place and its infrastructure turn to ashes( libya, syria, afghanistan, etc etc ) and also somehow terrorist activities suddenly increase in that country ( afghanistan, pakistan ).
    I am no expert on this topic, but then WHO ELSE IS ? if not the masses who are effected by all this ruckus.

My question if you sign in NBT that means you are not allowed to test your weapons how the question will raise of supplying in nuclear weapons.
    If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

NPT is an international treaty whose objective is to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and weapons technology, to promote cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and to further the goal of achieving nuclear disarmament and general and complete disarmament. NPT has three pillars, viz.,
    non-proliferation, disarmament and peaceful use of nuclear energy.
    NPT was opened for signature in 1968 and the Treaty entered into force in 1970. Non-signatory countries are India, Pakistan((Confirmed nuclear powers) and Israel(due to long-standing policy of deliberate ambiguity).
    Now, why India refuses to sign NPT?
    The reasons are as under:
    (i) NPT categorizes the world in two ways: Nuclear weapon state that tested nuclear bombs before 1st January 1967 (P5 -US, Russia, China, UK, France) and non nuclear weapon states.
    (ii) NPT is an unfair treaty to the non-nuclear weapons states as it says that those counties which have nuclear weapons have no obligation to give them up while others are not allowed to have them.
    (iii) India is committed to nuclear non-proliferation, but does not want to endorse such a biased and partial treaty.
    (iv) Although NPT calls for nuclear disarmament, no fixed timelines have been mentioned.
    (v) China has violated the treaty by proliferating knowledge to Pakistan.
    (vi) India's security is threatened until these five countries completely dismantle their entire nuclear arsenals.
    I hope that the afore-stated information would help to clear some doubts on the extremely complex issue.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Its not actually to supply or sell. It actually to stop new nations from developing nuclear weapons. Recently a G 7 summit was held at Japan too, which had the same aim to stop new nations from testing nuclear weapons.

It is simple, if a technology is developed and is not tested, there is no proof that it will work when time requires it to work. So a country will not waste its assets over an untested and unreliable technology and hence will not make more nuclear weapons also if the countries technology is not reliable it will not be able to trade nuclear material with other countries, making the basket almost empty with handful countries to do so.

So this is what it actually is. Nobody else can develop nuclear weapons and we stay super powers and dominate the world.

Sign In to post your comments