You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Is there any connection between 'google' and a 'googly'?

Let me first confess. I was always curious to know the answer of the query posted today after much introspection. The query always fascinated me, but I always felt shy in asking anybody about it. I don't know much about cricket either to understand the intricacies of a googly. On searching on net, nothing much could be located except the fact that the google was first named as 'googol', but due to spelling mistake in typing it emerged like 'google'.
    I request the learned members of the ISC to help me in overcoming my ignorance.
    I don't see any reason for you to be confused or to feel that you are ignorant. Curiosity on your part, as usual, is understood but to draw a connection between Google and googly seem to be far outstretched as both are, in very simple terms that a layman can understand, different and cannot be connected. I am not sure but some of us might be able to draw an analogy which may, though, be not logical.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

I think we draw parallel to Google and Googly. In cricket some players are well versed with Googly bowling and that confuses the batsman. So is the case of Google for the new user it is confusing browser.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Mr. Mohan, in cricket, the term 'Googly' ball indicates that a right-hand leg-spin bowler bowls an off-spin ball to confuse the batsman. On the other hand, 'Google' is the name of a company. Like many other names, this name is also meaningless although it has become famous.

So, we must not try to deduce a relationship between 'Googly' and 'Google'.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Some fun loving people may say that googly looks like the name of wife or sister of a man named google.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Interesting! But I am yet to see or hear about somebody with Google as a name! Imagination can, indeed (not surprising though), run wild!
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Lalu ji named his daughter as Misa because at the time of her birth he was detained under MISA (Maintenance of Internal security Act). There are many other cases when people adopt peculiar name. Many of the ISCians might have heard about Yadav Singh who is actually not a Yadav by caste. Instead his first name is Yadav.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

There is no connection between Google and googly but as you have mentioned that you do not much about cricket, my answer is very simple for you.

For you Google can provide you any kind of answer but you might not have the answer for a googly. It is as simple as that.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.