You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you know what is banana bond?

In Chemistry we know certain molecules have got certain structures for example if we see water the empirical formula or chemical formula of water is H20 and the shape is angular and methane CH4 that shape is tetrahedron or tetrahedral shape and diborane empirical formula or chemical formula B2H6 this type of structure and bonding is called as banana bond or Tau bond as I studied in my 10+2 I remember and want to share it here. Is there any molecule that posses the same structure and bonding.Knowledgeable members please respond to the question.
    I had complete my 10+2 in the year 1971 i.e. about 45 years back and still remember about bent bonds or banana bonds. These are covalent bonds, geometrically somewhat bent like a banana. The molecule of cyclopropane with formula C3H6 is a typical example of the same. In this molecule, three carbon atoms are bonded to each other forming a cyclic structure. Instead of being purely triangular in shape, the molecule acquires a roundish shape with the bonds between the two adjacent carbon atoms somewhat bent. In the cyclopropane molecule the interorbital angle is 104 degrees. Cyclobutane molecule with chemical formula C4H8 forms a larger ring, but still has bent bonds.
    I think much water has flown in Ganges since I completed my 10+2 and it is quite likely that new theories/models have got developed in the meantime.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Many may not know the Banana bond you are talking about. Only the chemistry experts might exploit this thread with their knowledge in the field of chemistry.

As a layman, I would understand that Banana bond may be a good bond. It is the real and truthful bondage between two. Unlike any other plant, the banana plant is an excellent plant. It is an all time item that is available to us 24x7. All its parts, may it be the stem, the leaves, the raw fruits, the ripe fruits, its flowers etc; are useful in many ways. A good medicine and a lovely fruit.

When you are in trouble with someone, just extend a banana to him to see the result. No one on this earth will refuse a banana, if offered. It improves the bondage. In the south, in any feast, Banana fruit is served as the last course of meal to develop the bondage between the host and the guest.

This is not a fun from Sun.

No life without Sun ¤

Well I am not a chemical subject student to answer this poser from the author, but surely my son would respond with required inputs.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

All the bonding occur due to lone pair of electrons. These lone pair of electrons are shared between two molecules thus forming a bond.

In methane it's SP3 hybridization, and due to presence of electron cloud over other molecules such as boron in diborane we get this bent bond or banana bond.

Some hydrocarbons such as Cyclopropane undergo banana bond too.Hope my answer is acceptable to author.

I want to ask you one more question how the shapes and angles are determined as a standard ones. We see different bond angles are written in different books for the same molecule. If the water is poured in a vessel, the shapes of the vessel varied from one to another hence the bond angle will be differed as the van der Waals theory also state this. whenever the molecules collide on the container walls they do lost some energy and shape.How can the molecules have static shapes and angles.
    If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

Sign In to post your comments