You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

The experiences of being a mango!

Have you ever eaten food without any distractions, enjoying the taste, lost in the flavour, with nothing else in your mind, other than the food you are eating? If yes, you are one lucky person. I would say you have experienced a piece of heaven. Enjoying the act of eating is an art too. When you chew it and it starts melting in your mouth, and the flavour kicks in, it is so delicious and you are like ,'I can never have enough of this'. Hmm, yummy! I bet you are thinking about your favourite food now.
    I know, I know, you are wondering who am I and why in the world am I saying all these. I am a mango. Not any mango. To be precise, I am the Alphonso mango! The above said description, about enjoying your food, would fit any mango-lover. Who doesn't like me? I wonder sometimes, would there be anyone? Chances are rare.
    More about me, I don't like boasting; but I am known as the "King of Mangoes". And it is for a reason too. I am very sweet, have a very rich flavour, and a creamy texture. I am very low in fibre content. All these make me a popular choice and much sought after variety of mango.
    I like getting attention. When I am ripe and hanging from the branch of a mango tree, people look at me with admiration. I chuckle and think how all they want is to eat me, especially children! You know I am a seasonal fruit and I grow and ripen mostly during the summer vacation in India. So there are many naughty kids who love climbing my tree and pluck me. That is alright with me, but what hurts me is when they throw stones at me. Oh it hurts really badly! But I still love children, because they are my most innocent admirers, and I love my admirers! I make memories during their valuable childhood days, which they are going to cherish even after a long time. One such vivid memory they all will have is of getting beaten or at least getting threatened to be beaten up by the farmers or the aunties in their neighbourhood for trying to steal me! So much for me, right? That is why I said they are my most innocent admirers.
    Apart from humans, I am food to insects and birds as well. But I have a complaint that they don't eat me in full. They sometimes take a bite from me and drop me. I wish they would eat me as whole. Never mind, I like to be of service to everyone. I am glad I am doing my bit. And let us not forget the delicious dishes and desserts you innovative humans prepare with me. Now, I have a request to all the humans. Please do not poison me with artificial ripeners which are toxic to yourself. Stop being selfish and money-ridden, thinking only of profit. Leave me in the exact form as nature intended. That is the best thing for you and your kids. I want to provide you with all the nutrients and goodness bestowed upon me. Let us spread goodness together.

This is my entry for
    Me, a mango contest
    Nice story with a nice moral. I really liked the way you ended the story (the last paragraph). But, you didn't follow the first instruction i.e. 'Please put a clickable link to the announcement thread at the end'. Hope you contribute more and more to ISC.

Let us continue learning.

Really a good write up. I enjoyed reading this story. I also liked the way author has told humans not to use any chemicals to ripen the mango.

Wow what a nice thread which takes us to the root cause of liking, enjoying and tasting a food especially Mango which is great relevance and naturally told.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Thank you everyone for your appreciation. It means a lot to me.
    Thank you Krishna Teja for pointing out my mistake. I have corrected it.

Mango is the national fruit of India. India is the largest producer of mangoes in the world. Mango is rightly said to be the king of the fruits as it finds many uses in various types of recipes, both in its raw form as well as in the ripe form.
    As far as the story spinned by the author is concerned there are many sensitive aspects of being a mango like being longed by the children, being fed by the insects and birds and being ripened artificially.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.