You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you accept top ranking army officials participating in TV debates?

Army is the most important force of any country to safeguard it from external threats. During the tenure of their service, there might have happened certain things which are best forgotten. Army means discipline. They have to be disciplined in and out of service. Their duty is to obey the orders of higher officials. With the starting of 24 x 7 News Channels, the Ex - Army personnel are participating in the debates wherever the role of is concerned. In the heat of the discussions they may utter something which should not be in public domain. I personally feel that top ranking personnel of the Armed Forces be not allowed to participate in the debates. What is your opinion regarding this?
    It applies even in case of civilian officers also. Individuals who held positions like home secretary, foreign secretary, defense secretary, finance secretary etc. and many such other sensitive positions in the past had privy to vulnerable information during their service period. Generally they use discretion in sharing secret information, but there were instances when scandalous situations got developed due to intentional or unintentional leakage of information in the public domain through media.
    As a matter of fact, the politicians who held positions of ministers in the past also have such sensitive information and sometimes use the same also for deriving political mileage while sitting on opposition benches. Initially after independence the congress party was the sole ruling political party in India beginning with Jawahar Lal Nehru, Lal Bahadur Shastri and Indira Gandhi till 1984. During that period, the opposition leaders had no idea about the actual functioning of the Government. However, later when they also came in power, the nature of role of opposition parties in the Parliament got changed substantially.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, it applies to so many. In this thread I want the discussion about the high ranking officers of the Armed Forces.
    With regards

" Be Good and Do Good "

Yes I agree with the author in the matter being discussed. The top Military officials and officers should not join in television debates as the anchor or the moderator would post such a question, for that there should a definite answer from the retired army personnel and therefore they may even reveal the secrets inside the services. Normally those who are in service are tight lipped when posed with question. But the same person come out with starling details to corner the government or take vengeance against the department which not cared him during the service. So giving so much credence to their utterances is not warranted and it must be taken light.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

High ranking defence officers, especially the retired Generals, Admirals and Air Marshals should not get into discussion or debate in an open forum. They should be good advisers to the government, and should support the ruling government on matters relating to defence. They should think of improving the efficiency of our defence forces. They should not become the critics to criticize the past or present government or their predecessors or subordinate officers. It is better for them to rest and relax in an isolated station with the high pension they receive.
    No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments