You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Can I use copyrighted images in my articles?

Recently, I submitted an article in which I used the sample pictures provided in windows operating system. Its state was changed to pending by editors. I was suggested to use my own images. But, I have a doubt that whether I can use copyrighted images in my articles by mentioning the source. I planned an article which involves images owned by some persons. So, can I use those images in my article by mentioning the corresponding owners?
    I don't think you can. However wait for a response from the article editors.

Members are requested to desist from posting irrelevant responses here.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

You should not use images that are copyrighted. There are some images (no copyright)available online that will not have any watermark or borders or other criteria to say that it is copyrighted. You are free to use such images.

Google uses advanced tools and algorithm to index images. That too in recent years you have also got an option to search google with images. This clearly shows how seriously they take image plagiarism.

You can refer many websites that are available that can guide you on how to identify whether an image is copyrighted or not. To be on the safe side you can always use your own image with a copyright watermark in it. The copyright that you do will prevent others from reusing it.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

ISC requires you to always use your own created/snapped images.

Refer this discussion:
    Problem with article being put under pending status. Here the author was not even allowed to reproduce her own copyrighted image. So just leave alone the question to reproduce someone else's image. You always have to use self created images otherwise don't use them at all!

@S Balasubramanian,
    Just because an image doesn't have copyright watermark doesn't mean it is not protected under copyright rules. Please don't misguide people.

Ankit - I'm not saying that all the images that has no borders or watermarks are copyright free. Maybe I'm not clear in what I said but what I meant to say was that the images with borders and watermarks have a high possibility to be a copyrighted image.
    Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

Krishna,

Ankit has provided the correct response. Refer to the thread to which he provided the link where Tony Sir has made the issue very clear.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Thank you all. I understood the point. But, I have another doubt. If I edit the images taken from some other web site by changing colors etc., and use in my articles, will they still be counted as reproduced images?

Let us continue learning.

Krishna, no! Can't you be original?
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.