You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Through education cess the Government is bothering the common man.

Today I had been to my daughters college to pay the fees for the first installment of second year Intermediate BiPC course and I was informed that additional 1700 has to be paid being the educational cess charges. I think this government is reclaiming the amount spent on farmers as loan waiver and and other sops and now it is penalizing the common man. For common parents this additional amount is big burden and why the government is not hard on tax evaders and other market hoarders ?
    Education cess @ 2% was started in India in the year 2004. Its objectives was to improve the public education system. With the growing population and demands of schemes like 'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan', Right to Education 'Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan'etc. , the expenditure in the education sector has increased enormously. The fee charged in the government schools is highly subsidized. Grants are given to all Government aided schools also. Then there are many welfare schemes like award of scholarships etc. for the weaker sections of the society. However the Education Cess law was later amended to allow the collected revenue to be used for other purposes also, such as universal healthcare.
    I think paying education cess is a kind of donation to the cause of education. In its form of a cess, it has to be paid by all individuals whether they are income tax payee or not.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

But donations from Institutions is good, but they try to squeeze from every parent and that is really taxing.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments