You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

First time is always an adventure

Remember the first time you went on to the stage, to give a talk?
    It was probably in your school days. You had been there before a number of times maybe to receive a trophy or a certificate. But this time it looked different. It felt scary. Being there for even a second felt like ages to you. You had rehearsed for this moment, especially the first line. But you were stuck there. You glanced across the audience and found a smiling yet anxious face. That was all you needed. You closed your eyes and started. When you opened them again, all you could see was people clapping. Their claps didn't reach your ear as your mind was busy digesting the moment. You had given your first performance.

That's what an adventure feels like. It makes you scared but the thrill of experiencing the moment overpowers the fear. It stretches you out of your comfort zone.

The first time you fell in love, the first time you boarded a flight, the first time you bunked class to watch a movie with your friends, the first time you have a child, the first time you went skydiving, you surely experienced adventure. It is a painful pleasure of course. You never know what's going to happen after this. Will you have a breakup, will the flight crash, will you be caught and suspended, will you have an abortion. You just don't know. But an adventure is never about the outcome. It's about how you feel during that process of change. You feel thrilled as you have broken your comfort zone.

For most, there is adventure only in the first time. A local resident wouldn't feel as excited about his city like a tourist does. Lucky are those people who find adventure in their fault routine. It takes courage to recognise and widen one's comfort zone daily.

So, what was your recent adventure?

[Entry for TOW]
    Good post by the author connecting to the Tow topic. Yes when you talk for the first time on the stage without fear and fairly and gaining the pat of the audience is really a cloud 9 experience for the freshers.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

It is true that most of us would have felt 'butterflies in stomach' during our first performances. The 'stage fever' becomes more and more when the age at first appearance is more. The very young do not feel any such fear. They come straight and perform.
    However when one starts to know the difference between success and failure or winning and losing that, the nervousness and inhibition and hesitation also comes. So one who performs in that situation is really doing an adventure.

I had already written in this forum a couple of times earlier how my fears turned to confidence in a similar situation. It was an extempore speech competition. I was also having the normal tension. But when my chest number was called, I gained a sudden confidence. My chest number was I-1(I One). But when it as called I heard and felt that 'I WON'. That gave me a terrific confidence, and really I won that competition.

This is to prove that luck or God also helps the real adventurist. One who takes adventures should remember the following: "Pray to God, Oh sailor!, but row towards the shore".

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

This is true. The feeling is an adventure and not always some output or happening is an adventurous. And that kind of feeling happening for the first time is really more adventurous. A good thought.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

There is only one thing which only comes first time. It never occurs subsequently and there is no adventure associated with that at least for the individual concerned, because he/she becomes dead after death.
    However there are many more things which gives unparalleled pleasure like holding the child first time or witnessing his/her walking, talking and what not, first time.
    Getting first salary, first day in the school/college/university, first time becoming a grandparent and many more such firsts.
    Often people theorize about reincarnations or subsequent births etc., but perhaps humans get a human life once only, which is the first time as well as the last time.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments