You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Able the disabled..Did you do your part?

Coming to terms with their child's disability can be the most difficult thing to accept for any parent in this world.Feelings of denial,depression,sadness,grief and fear have been reported to be the most common reactions of parents of disabked children.As a pareny,they become fearful of the society,the affect on the entire family and other siblings and even their own lives.Acceptance is the most difficult part for such parents.
    Have you ever had the chance to help deal or support families with disabled children or had personal experiences with them? Could you influence their life in any positive manner and brought a smile on a child's face.Have you ever been successful in abling the disabled?Members please respond and share your experiences.
    Yes I have many relatives and friends who have disabled and not leading the natural life. When ever I pass through that place, I would like to make a courtesy call and wish them. One of the friend is dumb person and no body can talk to him in that language. He is very intelligent and grasp the things immediately. I love to gesture with him in sign language. Like wise one of the relative has the throat problem and her voice breaks when she speaks. I do love to speak with her politely and listen to her. She feels much happy. And one of the friends son is totally disabled and he was not talking till the age of five. With much practice from our side he can now talk and understand.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Family support and social acceptance are key factors which help in help such people and their families cope with such a desperate situation.People can make a change in such lives with even small kind gestures and words and make their day because at the end of the day,they want to be loved and accepted as normal people.
    Regards,
    ar
    "If things go wrong, don’t go with them"

By the way those who are disabled or differently able, they need apathy and not sympathy from us.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Apathy is lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern which is most unwanted in the case of such people.Disabled people do not require sympathy but a little more attention,affection and feeling of being given importance if I am not wrong.
    Regards,
    ar

Children suffering from autism also come under this category. It is really a very challenging situation for the parents to manage their life. Except parents of such children, others can hardly do much except uttering few cosmetic words.
    According to the WHO estimates 10% i.e. about 65 crore of people world wide suffer from moderate to severe kind of disabilities. Prevalence of disability is more in developing countries than in the developed countries.
    About 80 lakh people were permanently disabled during world war I. In Australia about 18.5% people have disability of one kind or the other.
    I know few families in my social circle who have differently abled children. What to say except to pray to God to not let the parents suffer from the excruciating agony of raising such children.
    At Government level, there are many schemes to support differently abled individuals. Apart from 3% reservations in Government jobs, there are many schemes offering various kinds of assistance.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Apathy is lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern which is most unwanted in the case of such people.Disabled people do not require sympathy but a little more attention,affection and feeling of being given importance if I am not wrong.
    Regards,
    ar

Sign In to post your comments