You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Why it is toothbrush, not teeth brush?

It is said that for learning, one should never feel shy in asking questions.
    I have always been perplexed with one such question. The question is as to why a toothbrush is not called a teeth brush.
    Have you seen any individual with a singly tooth and cleaning his/her single tooth with the toothbrush. Only infants have a single tooth, but they also generally don't clean the same with a toothbrush.
    Most of us have a set of thirty two teeth and clean the same at least once in a day in the morning using the misnamed ubiquitous toothbrush. Then why it is not called a teeth brush?

Will you please enlighten me about the subject matter?
    Nice question friend! Never feel any question is silly,because no question is silly.It is often the answers that are.
    So I will try my level best to answer your question aptly.

Though you are scrubbing your teeth with your toothbrush, it cleanses individually every tooth.
    And this isn't the only word that is misused. Look at other similar words such as hairbrush,shoe brush etc;
    Maybe it has some grammatical rule behind it.

Obviously because it is incorrect English!
    Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Simply because, it can be used for cleaning even a single tooth. Whether you clean your single tooth with a toothbrush or not, that's your prerogative. Just as Aditya has explained there are many such examples. Even though football is played with both feet, it is still named as 'foot'ball. Agreed, plural of tooth doesn't has a 's', but it won't sound good if you say 'hairs'brush and so on. And then, it doesn't really matter whether it is a toothbrush or teethbrush, why engage your and other's mind on such non-issues. There could be perhaps better issues to think upon.
    Patience and perseverance pays

Very good question from Mr. Kailash Kumar! He has really find the fault of English grammar-writers. I would like to know in this context whether an interested person can take up this matter or similar issues with the publisher of Oxford dictionary?
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

It is tooth brush only. When a child is born, it has no tooth/teeth. The tooth grows one after one. So a child uses a tooth brush when the first tooth is out, Then it uses the teeth brush when the second tooth is out.. Should we have a tooth brush and a teeth brush? No. Supposing a old man loses all his teeth except one. Should he use a tooth brush or teeth brush. I think it is not a mistake. Take example of a nail cutter. Why nail cutter? Why not nails cutter? Why nail polish? Why not nails polish? Why lip stick? why not lips stick? Why hair cut? Why not hairs cut?
    No life without Sun ¤

There are certain rules of grammar behind such usages. Moreover, whether right or wrong English, the words have been widely used and accepted as proper words. Why worry about them now? Don't we have many good topics to discuss on?
    Live....and Let Live...!

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.