You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Forgotten Hero – Havildar Abdul Hamid.

There are many heroes which has made our country proud whether during India's freedom struggle or in war. We remember only some leader or heroes who were famous but seldom have we remembered those heroes who have equally played their role but did not become so famous to get remembered very often.

Yes, the man who destroyed seven US made Pakistani Patton tank with his 106mm recoilless guns mounted on his Jeep. Such was his bravery that he was awarded military's highest award "Param Verr Chakra" posthumously.

It was 10 September 1965, 8 am in the morning when Pakistan launched an attack with a regiment of Patton Tanks in the Khem Karan sector. Realizing the dangerous situation, Havildar Abdul Hamid, moved out with his gun mounted on jeep. Very cleverly he used to hide and change his position and this way he alone destroyed the 7 Patton tanks which was a pride of Pakistan then. While doing so he was injured by enemy's explosive shell died while saving the motherland.

Today his birthday, let's salute the soldier who not only made himself and his regiment but entire nation's proud with his bravery
    Havildar Abdul Hamid was born in the village Dhamupur in the district Ghazipur of Uttar Pradesh on 01.06.1033. I have vivid memories of Indo-Pakistan war of the year 1965. I was then a student of the class VI. In school, there used to much discussion about the supreme sacrifice of Havildar Abdul Hamid and we used to prepare his sketches etc. in our drawing books. During those days, the name of his village was changed as Hamid Dham from Dhamupur.
    The 'Param Vir Chakra' was awarded by the then President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan to his widow Rasoolan Bibi during the Republic Day Parade of the year 1966.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Company Quarter Master Abdul Hamid also took part in action during Indo-China war in 1962. Abdul Hamid of 4 Grenadiers was posted at Khem Karan general area during 1965. Paki 1 Armoured Div. crossed Icchogil canal and attacked Indian defensive position along Khem Karan-Kasur axis. From his rank, it can be easily understood that Hamid was not part of the main fighting force. As the Company Quarter Master, he was distributing the arms and other provisions among soldiers in a jeep fitted by RCL gun. His jeep was surrounded by seven Patton tanks. Undeterred, he destroyed three tanks one after another. when he was going to engage the fourth one with his RCL gun, a tank shell hit him and he died a martyr's death. He received Param Veer Chakra posthumously.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Kailash, a soldier does not belong to a particular state or city but entire country. However the state and its people should always remember such heroes. Thank you for extra details you have put in to this thread.

Partha, I was expecting your reply and thank you for your valuable details which made this thread look better.

It is said that his Citation was already made when he destroyed the 3 Tanks, on next days he destroyed another 4 and while destroying 8th one he got injured and he died martyr's death. Since his Citation was made early so his proper record is not mentioned. However the destroyed number of tank doesn't matter but his courage and bravery at that point of grave situation.

it would be nice if some more details to be posted on in this thread so that our current generation should know such heroes.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

After reading this post, every Indian must give a fitting tribute to those who fought war with other countries and made our Nation proud. Surely people like Havildar Abdul Hamid guarded our Nation with much gusto and pride.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Knowing more about such great people gives good strength to us. They have struggled so much in their life to keep us happy. It is the right time to show our respect to people like Havildar Abdul Hamid. There are also many other leaders who fought for us. The happy life that we lead today without any discomfort is all because of the efforts of such great people. It is worth to remember them.

Thanks for this post. Helps in knowing about a legend whom I was not aware of.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

Sign In to post your comments