You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Today is Doctors' Day- Let's remember Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy

This great doctor was born in a lower middle-class family in Patna on 1st July, 1882. He completed his MBBS from Calcutta Medical College in extreme hardship. After working and doing private practice for some time, he went to England and completed MRCP and FRCS within 2 years 3 months (an extra-ordinary event) from world-famous St. Bartholomew Hospital in London. Returning to Kolkata, he started private practice and social service simultaneously. He became the Mayor of Kolkata, and after independence, he became the second Chief Minister of West Bengal in 1948.

Leaving aside his yoman's service for the partition-affected State and its people, let us talk about his expertise as a physician. The old-timers of Kolkata (my mother included) still say that Dr. Roy could diagnose the disease immediately when the patient entered his chamber. In very complicated cases, he used to diagnose by simply smelling a patient. He used to prescribe diagnostic tests in one among 10,000 patients, in extremely critical state.

This great physician and statesman breathed his last on 1st July, 1962. His birthday (as well as death-day) is celebrated as Doctors' Day in India.
    Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy continued as the Chief Minister of West Bengal for 14 years as a Indian National Congress candidate from 1948 until his
    death in 1962. During the period he founded five cities, including Durgapur and Kalyani. He has also established Jadavpur TB Hospital, Chittaranjan Seva Sadan, Kamala Nehru Hospital, Victoria Institutionand Chittaranjan Cancer Hospital.
    Initially his admission was refused at St. Bartholomew Hospital as he was an Asian, but was finally admitted after his repeated requests.
    Dr. Roy was both friend and doctor of Gandhi Ji.
    He was awarded Bharat Ratna in February, 1961.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Good that Doctors are remembered and honored this day. On this occasion I thank my family doctor Susheel Kumar who was cooperative and helpful during nurturing my children as kids and he was instrumental to keep them healthy and happy.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Let us remember the great soul Dr, Bidhan Chandra Rai having the excellent reputation of diagonising the patients with the smell. Such an extra ordinary approach of tackling the patients without carrying out diagonistic tests reflects his intelligence of highest order. He stood by the the poor patients without changing a penny from them for his service. Moreover, he did not believe in prescribing a number of medicines for the cure of the disease.
    He remained humble throughout his life despite his elevation as a Chief - minister of Bengal for the successive times and was also receipent of Bharat Ratna Award for his noble service.
    We are proud to have such a man who always tried to upgrade the lives of the patients with the minimum expense involved during the treatment. A great soul, I pay my sincere tribute to him on the ocassion of the Doctors' day.

Sign In to post your comments