You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Tougher the exam gets, the better it is for the studious students

Some of you might be hearing this phrase for the first time while others, especially the ones who frequently encounter competitive exams, would be quite familiar with it.
    I never understood this concept completely. Can someone explain it?

Some say that tougher exams are best for selecting the cream of the lot. But wouldn't a student who tops the tough exam, top the easier one as well? A student who secures 90% in an easy examination might end up scoring only around 75% in the tough one. But doesn't this reduction affect every student, irrespective of whether he is topper or not?
    All that a difficult exam does according to me, is to increase the fears in the minds of students.

So, what is your take on this? Do you believe in such a concept?
    There is always a different between a easier exam and toughest exams. In easier exam, the questions are prepared in such a way that it would be a cake walk for the regular students who attended the class and they can excel in answering them with elan. But toughest exam is a activity based tradition where in not only writing, providing with images, reasoning and other matters will be included. Here the time of exam is the same, and how the student would manage the given time with optimal use would be tested and awarded marks. And those who are accustomed to toughest exam, they can face any interviews in future with great gusto too.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

In competitive examination, the candidate never get selected on the basis of their own level of preparation. Instead, they get selected on the basis of the level of preparation of their competitors. In case the fellow competitors put in more efforts, then they win the race.
    This year about 8 lakh candidates appeared in JEE (main) examination and out of them, only 2 lakh were declared qualified for appearing in JEE (Advance), examination. Similar situation occurs in the other competitive examinations also like civil services examination, banks PO examination etc.
    In the preliminary round, only chaff has to be segregated from the grains. Because of the euphoria created by the coaching industry, all Toms and Harrys, fill the application form.
    The real competition, occurs later at the stage of main examination. Since such examinations are competitive in nature, it doesn't matter, if the questions are tough or comparatively easier.
    Even at the stage of main examination, there is ranking system.
    However, it will have to be admitted that few students are remarkably ingenious and brilliant. Perhaps such students may have an edge over other students in case the question paper is set tough.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Let me restrict to the title statement. Why it happens is, when the exam appears tough, the average performance will be average or below average. So those who do slightly better get selected or get higher grades.

It is always best of the lot. The overall general average standard of the lot may vary from lot to lot. That is why one cannot firmly say a cut off for exams and tests where the participation is in lakhs.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

#569756: Mohan ji, I completely agree that those who have experienced though competitions earlier are better prepared than those who haven't. But still how does that give an extra edge to studious top students over the ones in lower ranks? All of them give the same though exam, don't they? So all of them are equally better than the lot who faced the easier exam. Right?

#569792: Kailash ji, in a ranking system a brilliant person who is a rank above another always has an edge. But the advantage is due to him being at a higher rank, isn't it? What has the difficulty of the questions got to do with it?

#569850: Most colleges or companies call in 5 to 10 times the number of seats/vacancies they have. They just select the top 100 ( whatever is their requirement) candidates based on their ranks, don't they? A person will get the same rank irrespective of the difficulty, won't he? So the problem narrows down to the whether the person clears the cutoff or not. Moreover as you have already mentioned these cutoffs are based on the general average performance on that exam. So how can the top guys have an extra advantage in such exams?

( I'm only enquiring for solely academic purposes.)

Let's see the world from different perspectives

The structure of present-day competitive examinations is such that there is distinct possibility for average student to perform better if he/she uses the concept of probability intelligently in the MCQ-base papers. Intelligent guesses can bring handsome benefits in these MCQ-basedd examinations.

So the really good students can show his real performance if the question paper is tough.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments