You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should the parents be interviewed for getting admission to the kids ? Active GD

This is the admission time and most of the schools are insisting the qualification and eligibility of parents to take admissions for their kids. Some of the schools are giving test to the parents and if they pass then they will consider the test for the kid. Parents may not be educated but they would have a like or aim to give good education to the child. One of a mason who lives opposite my house has given the Engineering education to his daughter. Both the parents are uneducated. Now tell me what is the wrong on parents side to give good education no matter they have not studied ?
    Some of the most common questions generally asked to the parents seeking admission of their children in schools are as follows -
    1. What are your expectations from the school?
    Tip: The parents should study about the schools goals and aims prior to going for the interview. In case the school's objective is the overall development of the students, then the answer should not lay stress on the academics.
    2. How much time you spend with the child?
    Tip: In case both parents are working, then alternative support systems will have to be revealed. The parents are expected to devote adequate quality time with the child.
    3. Why you have chosen this school?
    Tip: Schools require feedback. They expect the parents to be honest in their answers and frankly tell as to why they have selected the particular school- because of its brand value or its academic standard, discipline, or the extra-curricular activities.
    However, I think all such questions are farce only. The school's primary interest lies in knowing if the parents have any value/standard in the society and whether they will be able to pay fee regularly without raising any complaint or organizing a protest rally in case of future fee hike.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I've heard many of my relatives residing in Bangalore mentioning this. They cite that such informal interviews mainly occur for lower grade admissions. The questions were on the lines of what Kailash ji has already mentioned.

The reason for conducting such interviews, when enquired by some parents, that the school authorities gave was that they focus on holistic education. Kids spend a huge time, especially in the lower grades, watching the actions of their parents try to mimic them. So, they conduct such informal sessions. They even try to give workshops to such parents.

I believe that the above reasons are weak attempts to convince parents. The probable reason as explained by Mr Kailash look more convincing. Moreover, if schools try to correct the people who influence the kids the most, then they would have to interview almost every friend the kid has.

Also, just like Mohan ji mentioned about the mason in this thread, I believe education isn't about where it begins, it's all about where it ends.

Let's see the world from different perspectives

I agree that there should be interview for both parents before giving admission to a child. Because after finishing the school, child going to spend maximum time at home, and he/should be under vigilance and guidance of the parents only, whether he studied properly at school or not, whether he has completed the home work or not, helping him/her to finish the home work.
    Although some uneducated parents want their children to be good education, for them I am sorry. This should be the method, I personally believe that if parents are not educated they will never can set any example to become a successful person, or they can not help their children for his/her studies.

Mohan sir, this is nothing but a filtering activity of the schools so as to collect hefty donation etc., as most of the uneducated parents means they do not possess huge money with them to provide the required fees and donation. There are many students brightening themselves to the IAS level in Tamilnadu. But they are all in the schools of government side as they could not offer money to the noted schools.

From my point of view I consider that as important because if they want their kid to progress well with the school they should also be involved. These kind of interviews will help the school authorities know more about the parents and capable of providing all the support that the Kids needs.

In the school that I studied, getting admission for an LKG seat is very difficult. My school is based on Indian culture and teaches a lot about the moral values that the kids should learn in their life. So when they have such requirement, they also expect the parents to support the thoughts of the school. In that case they ask questions about the culture and their views about it before providing admission to their kid. Last year they also conducted a course for the parents where they will have to go through the course to get admission for their kids.

This is just to have the thought process of the school and the parents in synchronization. The parents should not teach their children that contradicts what is being thought in their schools. That is the reason why they have interviews for the parents before giving admission.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

@ Ramachandran Pattabiraman , it is always not about the donation, yes this is true that all private school now days selling education. and they have made it as a business, but by interviewing the parents they get to know whether they can guide the children at home or not, so that student will perform well in school, and the name of school will be more popular among other for which they can charge more fees, Although fees is a matter but they want the students should perform well by getting proper guidance ( at least parents should aware about their study level and syllabus ).

Sign In to post your comments