You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A person who consume alchol tell the truth?

Often we see in many movies and in real time those who drink wines tell one dialogue that if I drink wine I will tell truth how is it possible a person who is in subconscious mind or state will tell the truth.Can we believe a person words who consume alcohol tell the truth?Knowledgeable members please respond to the question.
    A very famous ghazhal of Pankaj Udhas says the same thing:
    'Sharaab itnee sharifana cheez hai aadam
    Sharaab itnee sharifana cheez hai aadam
    Sharaab itnee sharifana chij hai aadam
    Ke pike aadamee such bolta hai subhaho shaam
    Ke pike aadamee such bolta hai subhaho shaam'

(Translation by Partha Kansabanik: Oh Adam! The liquor is such a gentlemanly thing that people always speak truth after consuming it.)

But the experience of Partha Kansabanik says that after taking more than three pegs or so, a person doesn't have the ability to speak anything-either truth or lie!

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Perhaps a sober person is compelled by the circumstance to fake for survival. It may not be possible for a 'Satyawadi Harishchandra ' type of individual to survive these days due to various reasons. There are more chances of getting killed or maimed in case of absolutely truthful persons in modern times. After consumption of alcohol in limited quantities, their inhibitions are shed and truth comes out as in the case of Narco test.
    However jokes apart, some of the adverse effect of alcohol on human body are as follows -
    1. Alcohol interferes with brain's functions and makes it harder to think clearly and move with coordination.
    2. Heavy drinking affects liver and leads to a variety of problems including steatosis or fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, fibrosis and cirrhosis etc.
    3. Drinking affects heart and is likely to lead to conditions like cardiomyopathy i.e. stretching and drooping of heart muscle, arrhythmias i.e. irregular heart beat, stroke and high blood pressure etc.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I admire the humor sense of Partha Sir. I'm a person who is against alcohol drinking. I would also like to quote something from what Ayurveda says:

madyam na peyam peyam va svalpam subahuvari va
    anyatha sophasaithilyadahamohan Jcaroti tat ||

Alcohol (is) not to be drunk, or to be drunk (only) in small quantities or with much water; otherwise it causes cutaneous swellings, flaccidity, heat, and stupor.

The above verses are from Vagbhata's Astangahrdayasamhita. So to this context of the question raised here my thoughts is that apart from the above mentioned causes it creates, it also affects the brain function badly. It is also believed that it helps you open the conscious state very easily. This state can be reached either this way or with the help of meditation. When this state is reached using alcohol it is not reliable.

Though the purity of the subconscious mind of the person is triggered when alcohol is consumed, we cannot say for sure that all he says will be true or not.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

Yes, he tells the truth also. He vomits all that he has in his stomach and mind without any bias. He does not know what he is doing or telling. Without his self knowledge he vomits everything.

The persons who drink alcohol lose control of their senses and may talk without any inhibitions. This does not mean, what all they say is nothing but truth. Some alcoholics fake their condition and take advantage to abuse others. What Mr Partha expressed about the quantity is absolutely true.
    With regards

" Be Good and Do Good "

Well I wont drink to give you the right answer. But what I observed from the chain drinkers that they go for such drinks out of frustrations or failures in life. Some are not happy with their love life, some are not happy with the wife, some are not happy with office works and some are not happy with children behavior. So all these things make them isolated from the world and they take solace and get relief from sorrow for a while. Since they keep so much heaviness in their heart they try to speak the truth which was kept inside for long time. Probably that is the reason being so people intoxicate others to get the truth out of his mouth.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments