You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

What exactly 'Symphony' means - Explain and discuss

Dear Members,
    What do you understand by the word SYMPHONY? What it exactly means? I had this doubt when a member raised a thread 'Symphony of Black and White'. The dictionary meaning is not clear to me. Educated and intelligent members can respond to this post with their good explanation to understand it in a better manner.
    I guess it is something like beautiful combination of two or more things or just co existence of two different things.
    Anything which is pleasing, beautiful and having more than one constituents. This is what I meant there in my thread.
    Well my dictionary shows, it is music performed by orchestra or a harmonious state of things in general and their properties as colors, sound. It is like completing each other in harmony.
    After struggling, I have found a few ideas like I can compare chess(black n white) with ways to lead life or happiness as white and sadness as black and then a message how to spend both time in harmony.
    If you have read that thread add something else I can relate with topic but it has to be positive.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

I am not an accredited expert. What I give below is how I understood for my need from my own logic and reasoning. If it helps then accept it, otherwise ignore.

The prefix part 'Sym' means 'together, or 'fusion', merging etc.
    'Phonic' means of sound, words etc.

So Symphonic or Symphony gives a meaning that it is a combination of different ingredients to give a very unison harmonious output of sounds.

However later on literally it would have stayed to be used to denote a well combined or harmoniously blend of anything.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Symphony is harmony of sounds. However, in broader sense the word 'symphony' is used as a synonymous of harmony in other contexts also e.g. symphony of black and white colors in a design, painting, architecture etc. or symphony of flavors in an exotic cuisine.
    'Mile Sur Mera Tumhara' song sung by great singers of India like Bhimsen Joshi, M. Balamuralikrishna, Lata Mangeshkar, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Shubhangi Bose, Suchitra Mitra etc. in great Indian lanuages like Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Kashmiri, Malayalam, Marathi, Marwari, Oriya, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu etc. is a great example of harmony as well as symphony.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Its like as a composition of different elements in large scale. I'm right???

From my knowledge, Symphony is nothing but creating sound waves by group performance with a particular instrument and that gives better hearing pleasure to the audience. This word I heard at instances. One is when Zubin Mehta came to India some years back and played his world famous orchestra in many Indian cities. And the second one through Ilayaraja who had his team performing Symphony in a foreign country. So it is clear to us that when some similar music instruments are played in tandem, we get the high decibel voice which enhances the listening pleasure of audience.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments