You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have we driven away our driving etiquettes?

Most of the city roads are a challenge to maneuver through and we can find many people fighting to fill the smallest gap where they can fit in their vehicle to move forward. On the other hand, the highways are another nightmare where I have seen some drivers take it as some big personal insult when someone overtakes their vehicle and they won't rest until they take the lead again n push that person behind them. Many times the victims to accidents that happen because of this ruthless behaviour are not only the ones who race but also others around them. This is really sad when someone has to pay heavily for a mistake which was committed by someone else. It's high time we take driving etiquettes more seriously and spread awareness about it.

Have we driven away our driving etiquettes?
    Kalpana,
    In a driving hurry, you have repeated your paragraph. It is like two vehicles moving fast on a highway parallelly with equal speed.

Who said we have good driving etiquette. Most of the Indians are yet to learn good driving etiquette. Mainly it is the younger generation drivers who need to be taught what is driving etiquette.

No life without Sun ¤

Driving is not a subject matter of 'etiquette' alone.. Instead the same is a matter of law also. A driving licence is required in India under section130 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 by any person who wishes to drive a vehicle on any highway or other roads.
    In case of two wheelers, wearing helmet is mandatory for the main rider as well as for the pillion rider. There are rules and regulations regarding speed limits, pedestrian crossings and drunken driving etc.
    Issue of driving license is mostly done through agents. Many a times even minors drive vehicles without driving licenses. The enforcement of law is lax to say the least.
    In developed countries like US, no traffic policemen is visible on the roads whereas in India a couple of traffic policemen can always be spotted at strategic locations. It appears that they remain present there for involving themselves in illegal gratification, instead of enforcement of the law.
    Roads are not properly designed and there are too many vehicles compared to the carrying capacity of the roads.
    Under such circumstances only melee can be expected.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, etiquette is very essential in driving. For example, near the Zebra crossing, the driver must be very careful and the pedestrians must get priority. Similarly, in case of yellow light in traffic signal, the car must slow down. However, in Delhi, I see that the pedestrians are ignored in zebra crossing and the car-drivers increase the speed instead of slowing down during yellow light. No need to mention unnecessary honking.

Indians have to go a long way to learn driving etiquette.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I think most of the people are averse to wait and have patience. While driving one must have lots of patience and also have the give and take policy. I have been watching with keen interest that the vehicles coming from the lanes are getting into main road with such a speed and turning thereby terrifying the fast coming vehicle on the main road. It is expressly understood that vehicles coming from lanes must approach the main roads with utmost caution and slowly. What is the need to raise the vehicle and honk as if main road users are useless. This attitude must change. More over we must respect the pedestrians who are put to lots of risk on the main roads.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

If one can learn to drive in India,then he can drive anywhere in the world.It is funny but it's true.It is a true test of patience and presence of mind if one wants to drive in the city.People on the roads,autos,bikes and cars can come from any side,left or right and overtake us.Driving reflects one personality and many don't have the sense of driving without causing harm to others.First,etiquettes need to be taught ,then driving and finally they should be given license to drive according to me.
    Regards,
    ar
    "If things go wrong, don’t go with them"

Driving on the roads has become difficult these days as no one bothers about traffic rules. The two wheeler and three wheeler drivers are causing lot of accidents due to their negligent driving. The traffic police also becoming helpless as the youngsters are not following the rules. Unless strict action is taken against traffic offenders the situation will deteriorate.
    With regards

" Be Good and Do Good "

I have now come to the conclusions that "present day driving injurious to the life of poor pedestrians".
    Not an exaggeration, but a sad fact: Once I had hire an autorikshaw for crossing to the other side of the road. The traffic was continuous and erratic. As it was not a junction, there were no traffic police there. After much waiting, I could not get a gap to cross. Though youngsters were taking risks, I was afraid. Murmuring and cursing my fate, I called for an auto and told him the purpose. He safely took me to the other side by turning at the nearby U turn. I had to pay the minimum fare.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Have we driven away our driving etiquettes? A pertinent question raised, but one that does not apply here. When did our people exhibit driving etiquettes or any kind of etiquettes for that matter? It is a shame that the government has to introduce 'Swach Bharat Abhiyaan', because we as a nation are not bothered about cleanliness. We have to be goaded into keeping our surroundings clean. We lack basic ethics, when it comes to the simplest of things in everyday life.

1. Hawkers and homeless take over footpaths meant for pedestrians
    2. Pedestrians are forced to walk on roads
    3. People don't use foot over-bridges or subways meant for crossing busy roads, but prefer to weave their way through heavy traffic
    4. We don't follow traffic rules – in Chennai it is common to see two wheelers on the wrong side of the road
    5. Newly constructed medians are broken overnight by residents so they do not have to drive long distances to cut across the road

I have cited a few common problems that plague Indian road users. It is not just those behind the wheels, who lack 'etiquettes', it is the entire lot of people.

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

What Mrs. Juana has said is absolutely correct. Etiquette is necessary for all. At the same time the Government must clear the footpaths from vendors so that the pedestrians can use these footpaths. In Delhi, we see the cars are parked on the footpaths. As a result, pedestrians have to use roads. The offence provides the way of regular earning of Delhi Police and MCD people. They carry out drives twice in a month and earn unbelievable amount from the owners of the cars parked illegally. When some unfortunate accident takes place, the matter comes to the front page of the newspapers.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

The main drawback within our system is the culprit while driving a car or truck with an uncontrolled speed gets minor punishment or are exonerated because of his superior influence. He does not pay any attention to the prevailing traffic- rule nor is there any concession for the pedestrian from his side. Whoever is there on the road, he is the monarch - such is the conception/ misconception within his mind - frame. The days are not very far off when the pedestrian should move on the roads wearing a lucky - stones on their fingers for their own safety.

Yes, as many of us feel, the safety rules and regulations enforced by law have always been there, but it is upto us too, the people, to follow it for our own safety. While we clearly know that many policemen here are more keen on the bribe that the law violators can offer, we can't, as responsible citizens, wash off our hands and walk away saying that it is the mistake of the corrupted law authorities. What policemen can't do, we can do, provided we really care to improve our society. Let's practice and preach on focusing on driving etiquettes rather than on just the driving rules. Let's make it a better place to live instead of just blaming the place we live.

Sign In to post your comments