You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Anecdotes about mangoes

In another 15 to 20 days, the mango seasons would be over. Along with real mangoes, In the virtual platform of ISC also, we have immensely enjoyed the stories of joys and sorrows of beautiful mangoes. Now let us discuss some interesting anecdotes about mangoes.

First anecdote: In earlier days, Nawabs and other Muslim aristocrats of present Uttar Pradesh used to make two slices of mangoes and then cool these slices. After cooling, they used to put kebabs between the two slices and enjoyed kebab-mango sandwiches. I am eagerly waiting to get the offer of having such kebab-sandwiches from some of my Muslim friends from Uttar Pradesh.

Second anecdote: In undivided Bengal, Bengali landlords used to do experiment of developing new varieties/breeds of mangoes. They used to appoint special gardeners with very high salary, solely for developing new varieties of mangoes. This activity used to become a sort of competition between two or more neighbouring landlords and sometime caused tragic incidents. Even landlords used to take the services of thieves to destroy each others mango plantations. However, due to these competitions, many new varieties of mangoes have been created in Bengal, some of which can still be found in local markets of various districts, especially in Malda and Murshidabad.

Other Members can also share such anecdotes about mangoes.

1. Mango in the national fruit of India as well as of Pakistan.
    2. Emperor Akbar had got planted 100,000 mango trees in Darbhanga, at a place presently known as Lakhi Bagh.
    3. In India there are more than 100 varieties of mangoes, in different sizes, shapes and colours.
    4. Decorating archways and doors with mango leaves is considered auspicious during weddings and celebrations such as Ganesh Chaturthi.
    5. The classical Sanskrit poet Kalidasa had sung the praise of mangoes in his literary works.
    6. Rabindranath Tagore was fond of mangoes. Few of his famous verses are dedicated to the fruit and its flowers, including the very famous 'aamer monjori'.
    7. It is said that the legendary Urdu poet Mirza was so fond of mangoes that he despised people who didn't share his addiction for the fruit.
    8. Mangoes were first grown in India over 5000 years ago.
    9. The Sanskrit poets used to believe that chewing mango buds lend sweetness to the voice.
    10. It is believed that Buddha found serenity and tranquility under a mango tree.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

In absence of other anecdotes from other Members, let me share another (real) one.
    Pakistani dictator Ziaul Haq believed in simple living but he had one weakness, i.e., mango. In 1988, he went to Balochistan to supervise the performance of American tanks which Pakistani Army was intending to purchase. The local Army Officers knew his weakness about mangoes, so they put some crates of very good mangoes in the Presidential plane. However, a bomb had been placed in a crate which later exploded mid-air while returning to Islamabad with Ziaul Haq.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Mangoes and cricket are the hallmarks of the Indo-Pak diplomacy.
    Pakistan sends mangoes to New Delhi every year, irrespective of the security environment between the two countries. The Prime Minister of Pakistan Sharif had sent 10 kg of mangoes to Modi, 15 kg to Pranab Mukherjee and 10 kg each to former Prime Ministers Atal Behari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh during the year 2015 amid cross-border shelling. Pakistan sends a mix of various local varieties such as Anwar Ratol, Sindhri, Langda and Chausa which are found in India also.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The anecdotes and other information provided on mangoes were interesting. But what I want to know that has any body tasted so many varieties of mangoes available in India. If yes what are varieties and its specialties.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#570618: Mr. Mohan, I have been fortunate to taste many types of mangoes, but the count does not go beyond twenty or so. I am mentioning some of the types I have relished:-

(a) Himsagar
    (b) Langra
    (c) Fazli
    (d)Dasheri
    (e) Chowsa
    (f) Kesar
    (g) Alphonso
    (h) Sindoori/Neelam
    (i) Safeda
    (j) Gulabkhas
    (k) Totapuri
    (l) Banganapalli
    (m) Bombai
    (n) Various other hybrid breeds developed in Bengal

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments