You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the official Indian numbering system?

It is not clear to me if the Indian numbering system using the units like lakh, crore, arab etc. are used throughout the India or not? For example how the number 'nine crore, seventeen lakh, fifteen thousand, seven hundrend and fifty five is practically referred in different states of India?
    Do in official organizations like banks and Government offices etc. the said number is described in the manner stated above or there are other systems in various regional languages.
    What is the official Indian numbering system?
    As far as I know in India we are following the numbering system as stated below in business and banks. one, ten, hundred, thousand, ten thousand, lakh, crore, etc. In other countries they use the words as million, billion and trillion.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Mohan Ji - My point was that do people in the state of Telangana also use the words 'lakh' or 'crore' in daily use or they use corresponding words of Telugu or Tamil languages?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash,
    In Tamil the numbers are spoken as below:
    1 - Onru
    10 - paththu (Ten)
    100 - Nooru (Hundred)
    1000 - Aayiram(thousand)
    10,000 - Patthayiram(Ten thousand)
    1,00,000 - Laksham(Lakh)
    10,00,000 - Paththu Laksham(Ten Lakh) (Million)
    1,00,00,000 - Kodi. (crore)
    10,00,00,000 - Paththu Kodi (Ten Crore)
    100,00,00,000 - Nooru Kodi ( Hundred crore) (Billion)

9,17,15,755 will be spoken as " Onbathu Kodiye, Pathinelu lakshathu, Pathinainthu Aayirathu, Elunoorru Ambaththu Ainthu.

No life without Sun ¤

In Telugu we call the rupees and denominations like this :

1- Oka rupayi
    10- Padhi Rupayulu
    100- Vandha rupayulu
    500- Haidhu Vandhala Rupayulu
    1000- Veyhi Rupayulu
    10,000 - Padhi Veyhi Rupayulu
    25,000- Pathika Velu
    50,000- Yabhai Velu
    1,00,000- Oka Laksha
    1,00,00,00 oka koti

K Mohan

And regarding translation of number 'nine crore, seventeen lakh, fifteen thousand, seven hundrend and fifty five in Telugu is :

Thomidhi Kotla, padhiyedu Lakshala, Padhiyenu vella, Yedu vandhala yabhai haidhu rupayulu.

K Mohan

Yes, now we have touched the core of the thread. However, what language English knowing people use during banking transactions and day to day conversation?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash,
    Though we are not British of English, we all write the sum in English words only. The bank forms are bilingual and are available in both English and regional languages. Yet, everyone prefers to write the sum in English only. The bank staff would stare at us if we write the sum in local languages.

We could send out the British, but not their English which is deep rooted in our blood and deeds.

No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments