You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it true that South Africa transformed Mohandas into Mahatma?

Yesterday while addressing the Indian community at a stadium in Johannesburg in South Africa, Prime Minister Narendra Gandhi said that - 'South Africa transformed Mohandas to Mahatma'.
    Gandhi spent about 21 years in South Africa. He reached there in the year 1893 to work for Muslim Indian traders based at Pretoria as their legal representative. His political views and leadership skills took shape there. He was thrown off a train after refusing to move from the first-class.
    When he returned to India in the year 1915, he had developed many skills in the context of his law practice in South Africa which could be used in the Indian freedom movement.
    Is it true that South Africa transformed Mohandas into Mahatma?
    I also agree with the statement made by the South African Prime Minister Narendra Gandhi that his country was responsible to transform life of Mohandas to Mahatma Gandhi. In fact in every bodies life there would be such a bad experience at home or at education place where in we are humiliated for petty reasons and that thing would deeply go in to the heart for a big challenge and that brings the ultimate change. Probably if Gandhi was not abused and thrown away from the train, he could not have changed his mind and thought of slave and their freedom. That was the turning point in his life where in from humiliation he learned the great lesson.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

No, Rabindranath Tagore changed Mohandas Gandhi to 'Mahatma', although many other leaders didn't accept that at that time also.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha - The discussion is not about as to who had suggested the name/title of Mahatama for Mohandas Gandhi. It is about as to what were the circumstances which enabled Mohandas Gandhi to become a great soul (Mahatma) and thus the father of the nation .
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

In my opinion, Mohandas never became 'Mahatma' in his life, either before or after his journey to South Africa. He only got the title from Rabindranath. I didn't want to express my views earlier only to avoid controversy and bitterness.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha - Do you mean to say that the judgement of Ravindranath Tagore was wrong?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#570700: Unfortunately yes in the present case which is being discussed now, although many people may differ.

Partha, I am stunned to look at your response. Instead of commenting the core point as to how Gandhiji's life in SA changed the dimension of Indian freedom movement, let us not give a twist to the discussion by judging the veracity of Rabindranath's title to Gandhiji.

Coming back to the point of discussion, it is true what the Prime Minister has said. Gandhiji found that there is no difference between the whites those ruling SA and those in India, after his return to India and decided to work for the cause of his mother land. His life in SA has influenced his leadership and changed the complexion of the Freedom Movement after his involvement.

Regards,
    Jagdish

#570836: In my opinion, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was a great crowd-puller and he had very significant contribution in India's freedom struggle. But, he was not a 'Mahatma'. He was a human being, although a great human being. Like other humans, he made many mistakes, especially during the last part of his life. The country had to suffer a lot because of his mistakes.

No doubt, he was a great leader, but certainly not a 'Mahatma'.

Sign In to post your comments