You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is abacus learning good for career point of view?

Is abacus learning good for career point of view? Today its being trend to learn abacus courses to fast calculation,counting sum , multiplication ,subtraction,division etc.

Lot of courses supported by Schools to do it.
    While I do appreciate that children are getting attracted to abacus form of learning fast maths, but at the same time students should also remember that in maths there cannot be short cuts and one has to show the working pattern of every sum on the rough side so that examiner would give the marks. One my relative son who is studying 8th class and well versed with abacus has failed to give reasoning for his answer in the answer sheet at the rough column provided, there by even though he got right answer, the teacher gave him 1 and half mark less. He got 23.5 out of 25. So what I mean to say traditional method of doing always holds good..
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Abacus learning is a technique used globally in pre-schools and elementary schools to teach math. The students are taught this technique for doing calculations of large numbers. Abacus learning technique is intended to train the mind during the brain's formative stages.
    I am personally not in favor of abacus technique of teaching. The cjhildren should be taught mathematics in the classical manner though they may learn techniques like Vedic Math, Abacus and Soroban (which is the Japanese equivalent of an abacus ) additionally.
    Originally the 'Abacus' was a calculating tool invented in China around 500 BC. The classical tool is sometimes referred to as the first computer. The Abacus is an instrument used to add, subtract, multiply, divide and to calculate fractions and square roots.
    In 'Visual Math' the children are taught to visualise the Abacus in their mind (virtual Abacus) to calculate mathematical problems without the use of the physical tool.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments