You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Forgotten Hero – Khudiram Bose

I have started this series "forgotten Hero" just to aware people those who do not know some of our great Heros, who gave their youth, their life to free our country from foreigners. Many of us got birth in "free India" but behind the freedom, there are stories of huge struggle of our country's people. Let's remember those heroes once again.

Today I have a name called Khudiram Bose, who was one of the youngest revolutionary in India's freedom struggle. He was born in West Bengal and got martyr death at the young age of 18. Such was the atmosphere in our country that even teenagers were not behind to give their life for our motherland. It is said that before he was hanged, he was cheerful and smiling and shouting "Vande Mataram". He not only shows the biggest sacrificed for the country but encouraged other youth to do so.

To write entire story about him is just like showing torch to the sun. So, if you know about him please continue his story by responding to this thread.

Let's pay respect to those who gave us to breath in a free country.
    Frankly speaking I am coming across this great personality for the first time and hope our West Bengal state members would add further information to this post for the benefit of we knowing more about great freedom fighter Khudiram Bose.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#570879: I am deeply pained. This is the sorry affairs of study of History in India. We don't know the names of the freedom fighters of other States, especially the freedom fighters who chose the path of armed struggle. If this current trend continues, the students will read that Indian freedom is due to Mahatma Gandhi and a particular family.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha there were plenty of freedom fighters in Telangana and AP itself and how come we would remember the greats of other states. Moreover we were not exposed to studies of knowing such persons of other states.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#570881: Yes, Mr. Mohan. I fully agree. I have said that we (not you) do not know the names of freedom fighters who chose the path of armed struggle. We only know about Gandhi and a particular family.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I had read story of Khudiram Bose during my school days. He was sentenced to death on 11.08.1908 at Kolkata (then Calcutta) when he was only 18 years, 8 months and 8 days old. He was born on 03.12.1889 at Bahuvaini in Medinipur district, West Bengal. His father Trailokyanath Basu was a Tahsildar of the town.
    Kingsford, the Chief Magistrate of Calcutta Presidency had become unpopular for passing harsh and cruel sentences on young political workers. He was later transferred and posted as the Magistrate of Muzaffarpur, Bihar.
    Khudiram Bose and Prafulla Chaki took the assigment of murdering Kingsford at Muzaffarpur. They waited at the gate of European Club for Kingsford and threw bomb on the carriage, but the carriage was not occupied by Kingsford but instead by the wife and daughter of barrister Pringle Kennedy.
    Later Prafulla Chaki committed suicide aftter being caught and Khudiram was arrested.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#570888: Excellent, Mr. Kailash Kumar. Only a small correction: Khudiram was born in Keshpur village of present West Medinipur District of West Bengal.

I have to differ slightly about the practicality of the regret expression by Partha in his response post 570880 .
    In any team work, it is mostly the leader who is known. People also may be remembering some more names who did something extra than an average participant in the team. This is the case in almost all team ventures.

When we say Indian cricket team, at least for journalistic phrasing, it is mentioned as Dhoni's boys, Kapil's men etc. The captain gets his name mentioned more than the other team members.

Freedom struggle is in fact not even a team event of just 11 or 12 people, but it was a mass event happening all over this great land. So every patriotic Indian had contributed o that mass movement.

It is not just easy to maintain the chronicle of each and every participant as a national register.

Hence local heroes will be remembered locally. That may be there in village level, state level and national level. The educational texts help the students in each state knowmore about their state heroes and heroines along with the national ones.
    It can be only like that. But bonce in a while when some special day is commemorated or some other event helps to recall some forgotten heroes, their name also get mentioned and we come to know.

I also ear about Khudiram Bose from this thread only. At least to that extent this thread has done a good service. It is such exchanges that help widen our knowledge about our country. That does not mean we have to demean the proven leaders.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

#570916: I simply beg to differ. If we say that we don't know the names of Khudiram Bose (the youngest Indian freedom fighter who willingly went to gallows), Chandrasekhar Azad (who was never arrested) or Chapekar brothers of Maaharashtra, there is something wrong in our History education. We require to change this immediately.

I have earlier said that it is just not possible to bring out each and every freedom fighters name in one History book. Every state have their different syllabus, they carry their own history. There are so many freedom fighter from south which I do not know because those history I have not gone through. It is our work to let the world know about such people who without any self interest done the biggest sacrifice. I have also requested members that please bring out unknown Heroes from their own state so that we should know.

The most important intention of my these kind of threads to let other know that the freedom we got was not so easy. It has personal sacrificed, struggle and pain. And we must not forget their selfless work.

I will keep bringing out such heroes name till our independence Day.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Partha (#570894 ) - In many internet resources , the birthplace of Khudiram Bose is mentioned as Bahuvaini in Medinipur district, West Bengal. Carrying out a google search with keywords 'Bahuvaini, Medinipur district, West Bengal, Khudiram' will reveal various resources. However, it doesn't make any difference to the contribution of Khudiram Bose as a freedom fighter of India.

#571040: Khudiram Bose was arrested at Vaini station in 1908 after his unsuccessful attempt on Kingsford. The station is now called 'Khudiram Bose Pusa' station.

Yes, Partha, I am one with you. Khudiram Bose was no ordinary hero. Nor was he an ordinary local hero . The mission he took in Muzaffarur Bihar was no ordinary one. As a boy hero he single-handedly shook the whole British establishment at that time. His mission even though it failed, was the beginning of the armed struggle against the British for the whole country, not for Bengal alone. Maybe for rest of India Khudiram Bose is a forgotten hero, but in Bengal, one will hardly find anyone who has not heard of him, such is his popularity.

But everything is not lost Partha, there are some from outside the borders of Bengal who have heard of him, especially the younger generation, the future of our country. A couple of years back a young boy approached me and asked me to script a small skit on Khudiram Bose for his school assignment. I gladly accepted his offer and scripted a short play about him and Prafulla Chaki, based on the Muzaffarur mission. The best thing, the incident took place in Hyderabad and the boy was not a bengali.

Patience and perseverance pays

I myself belong to West Bengal but my this thread or the other same series threads are not posted to praise states or their Heroes. I am representing entire country when I post such thread. These heroes are belong to our country and we should be proud of it.
    So, please keep away any kind of misunderstanding as why a state people do not know others state heroes. It is obvious that because of less information about such heroes or freedom fighters, many do not know. And this is why I have tried to bring out as much information as possible about those heroes. So that more and more people come to know about them. The only thing we required is awareness and share the information.

I would thank my school syllabus and those teachers including my parents, with whom I have grown up listening all these great's story.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

A Movie - 'Main Khudiram Bose Hun' which is a biopic on revolutionary leader Khudiram Bose is under production and is likely to be released soon in near future.

Sign In to post your comments