You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Bad impact of video games on young minds

(This thread is the winner of Special Prize of the TOW for the week 10th July – 16th July 2016)

Today I wish to say about the bad impact that is going on regarding video games. Actually video games should not be allowed to be given to play for kids below 18 years because now a days as soon as vacation starts children get addicted to play video games online or purchase it or take it for rent. By playing such games children sit in one place and play the whole day in front of the system, I think what their doing is wrong - no doubt there is silence in home - but the health of the child is deteriorating because earlier kids used to play out and they were having no health problems, their mind was very active, but now children have become very aggressive if they don't win the game. They have started losing patience and becoming very short tempered, I think its not a good development, even their physical fitness is also not up to the mark.

So Its a request to all the parents to allow their child to go out and play or play at home itself instead of watching TV or playing video games. I personally feel that children should make noise and play provided it should not disturb others because its their childhood and they should enjoy it- these beautiful moments never come back. So I strongly feel that video games must not be given to children below 18 years as per their health wise also.
    What ever you say there is good and bad affects. Like we know snake has poison but with that venom we make some medicines, similarly there are some video games which increase our memory and smartness, we can increase the judgement power and to work during pressure, but it is also not good to play 24 hour, as it will create our eye problem, and it also reduces our physical exercise, which will cause harmful in future.
    SO parents should be advised to tehir children the side effects of playing maximum hour video game, and now it is upto them whether they will play video game or will go out side for playing with friends at open play ground.

I agree with you about your snake Idea but its always a poison we don't consume it regularly. At some situation we use it. But providing video games to children below or above 5 years daily even one hour causes so much of health effects. In my next forum I will discussing about the drawbacks of playing video games in children.
    Thank you for your response

I wrote a beautiful story a few months back regarding video games.
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/144841-Emotions-that-changed-his-sons-attitude.aspx

If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

I find it curious that so many people seem to have negative opinions on video games or watching TV because you have to sit in one play to play them, but no one seems to be saying the same things about reading books.

Surely books are terrible for children as well, seeing as they give them no physical exercise?

First let us consider the likely negative effects of the video games on children. The positive effects will follow -
    1. Children who play violent video games regularly are more likely to develop aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
    2. It makes the kid socially isolated. Such kids are likely to spend less time in activities like doing homework, reading, sports/games and interacting with the family and friends.
    3. Video games may confuse the kid between reality and fantasy.
    4. Academic performance and achievements of the kid is likely to worsen at school.
    5. Adverse health effects like obesity, postural, muscular and skeletal disorders, video induced seizures are likely to get developed.
    6. Such kids may exhibit impulsive behavior and have attention problems.
    7. Kids' addiction to video games increases their depression and anxiety levels.
    Few positive effects -
    1. Kids learn to follow instructions.
    2. Helps in developing problem solving and logical thinking abilities.
    3. Develops quick thinking, fast analysis and decision making abilities.
    4. Develops perseverance, memory, team spirit, concentration and how to respond to challenges.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

To #571010 (Mr. Kailash Kumar), I completely accept all the negative effects you mentioned. But, the positive effects cannot be accepted completely. These days, most of the games are receiving a ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) rating M (Mature) or A (Adult) and kids are playing those ones only. Those games consist of violence, nudity and the things we don't want any kid to give a try. They give missions (tasks) like kill, shoot, hurt etc,. only and no logical thinking etc,. can be developed. If kids play games with a ESRB rating of EC (Early Childhood) or E (Everyone) or E10+ (Everyone 10+), its okay. Otherwise, kids must never be allowed to go near them.

Let us continue learning.

Hello Friends,
    I strongly agree with Mr krishna teja. Actually problem solving, decision making, team spirit concentration can also be develop by reading books or physical playing outside. Even we where brought by this way only but I hope we all have such positive effects. Now in ISC also we are doing team discussion. I think our kids will not no even their relatives faces because I have seen many kids playing in functions also. They will be sitting in one corner and playing. Their parents will be relieved that they are playing and not making noise nor disturbing them. They will be chating with their relatives and children won't no even their close relatives.
    I thanks to all who gave their valuable responses and joined in this discussion and I hope it would help most of the parents who are doing this mistake of giving mobile phones to kids for playing.

Nice thread by the author. We the parents are having a bad habit to succumb to every demand of the child and that includes video game. Parents wants children to be busy with the game so that they wont disturb them. But in the process the children are not only getting addicted, they are forgetting the friends, members of family, keeping away from studies and above all they are not going out and play. So such kind of addiction would first have effect on the eyes with lots of power glass to wear in future. Then the children would loose the patience and they get irritated for small delay and eventually try to ape like the characters in the video games.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments