You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever greeted the newly married couple from a dais with a mike?

Members,
    Have you ever greeted the newly married couple from a dais with a mike? Very recently, I attended a marriage reception and I was requested to give a small speech and bless the couple. Last week, I saw the film 'English Vinglish' and was impressed by the climax speech of Sri Devi greeting the couple. It was a very simple and impressive speech in simple English. I had her complete speech in my mind. I stood up on the dais with a mike and delivered my greeting speech in the same style using the same words. All got impressed and applauded, and said 'What an excellent speech!

Have you had an occasion like this? Narrate your greeting experience, please.
    That would have been wonderful experience to greet the new married couples from the dais. Normally in our tradition the Vadyar hog the limelight and he wont allow others to touch the mike or so. This is new and hope others also follow.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Unfortnately, I never got any such opportunity as in North India, no such custom is observed. Generally a reception party is organized and the newly married couple sit on dias on decorative throne like chairs/sofa and family members, relatives and friends bless the couple by visiting the dias. Gifts etc. are also offered to the couple by the select group which symbolizes their well wishes/blessings.
    Generally DJ is also set up and people sing, dance and enjoy the occasion.
    Prior to that at the time of first entry of the couple to the house of the bridegroom, they are welcomed in a very elaborate/ceremonial manner by the ladies of the house.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I never got such opportunity. Even if I get it, I won't be able to greet the newly-married couple in font of others with a microphone. As an introvert, public speaking is the weakest area of my life and also in my career.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I have never greeted any couple on dias neither I have got nay opportunity to do so. I have not seen also people doing it till now. Most of them are so busy in following the rituals and finishing it up without any delay that there is no space for all those things. If there is a chance to speak in future, I think I might be hesitant as I am a little shy.

Sign In to post your comments