You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Quiz & Puzzles

Cockroaches the ultimate survivors!

We all hate them, don't we? We find them squeamish and useless.
    But these little devils crawling down your legs, are the ultimate survivors.
    There was a time when these insects were enormous. But as the oxygenlevels reduced and competition for food increased these roaches had to compromise with the size.
    They were here, even before dinosaurs. They almost survive on anything.
    Although most of them are predominantly vegetarian.

They are found in all kind of climates.They can live for 9days without a head!
    They are resistant to radioactivity.
    They have tough exo skeleton which enables them to live longer.
    They serve as a major food source in few countries.
    They have high amount of protein.

So next time you see this little gentleman crawling before you, kneel before him.
    He deserves respect.
    And one more thing. They hate humans. If they accidentally touch a human, they would flee from there and wash themselves.
    Although the thread is written in a light-hearted manner, but it is factually correct. Only the cockroach would survive even in case of nuclear holocaust.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Some of the other interesting facts about the cockroaches are as follows -
    1. A cockroach can live even without its head up to one week.
    2. Cockroaches can run fast up to 4.8 kilometers per hour.
    3. Some species of female cockroaches can stay pregnant for life only after mating once.
    4. They can hold their breath for up to 40 minute.
    5. There are about 4,000 living species of cockroaches in the world.
    6. They do not have lungs and can continue to respire even if their heads are removed.
    7. A cockroach was sent into space by Russian scientists and it became the first terrestrial animal to give birth in space.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Nice write up from my son Aditya. But respecting Cockroach is something never done by any one, Women hate these insects and they simply jump and raise voice on seeing them. That is the irritation level they create. Nevertheless the information provided were trustworthy to know for our knowledge building. What I observed that though every one keeps their home neat and clean, these cockroach makes their way from the drainage holes and thus even if one enters our living rooms or other rooms, they get multiplied and wont go, unless and until they are killed by powerful sprays. But again on seeing them we get irritated and some have the capacity to even fly
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments