You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Am a street light, please switch me off when not needed.

(This thread is the winner of Special Prize of the TOW for the week 10th July – 16th July 2016)

I am a street light. I am used when the natural light fades as I will be on and will glow until morning arrives and up to that I will act as sun and show the correct path and assist visibility of the people. But you see there are many of my friends and colleagues that remain switched on even at morning time and even after that. So there is so much of power wasted in this form and also my life span will get reduced due to this. I request concerned authorities to monitor me and use me wisely (when I am needed and not needed) and please give me some rest by accommodating a switch in the pole so that on and off can be done by the user.
    Yes that is true. Mostly in many cities these lights are operated at a central location by government officials but nowadays there are some places where a private organisation or group of members formed or a builder or promoter of apartments made provision for street lights.

I would like to share our experience in handling these street lights. When on six o clock in the evening, there was a tough competition among members of houses to switch on as the mind set of indians (mostly in south india) the switiching on at six o clock seems to be auspicious. But in the morning even after the sunlight people did not bother to switch off and as the switch/post is nearer to my house, it has become routine(responsibility) of myself to switch off the lights.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

The modern street lighting systems have light sensitive photocells that gets actuated automatically as per requirement. Such systems detect dusk, dawn or dark weather also.
    In developed countries intelligent street lighting systems are also provided which controls the light as per detected movement of pedestrians, cyclists and cars. Such systems dim light automatically when no activity is detected, but brighten when movement is detected. Nowadays LED road lighting systems are being increasingly adopted in developed countries. Such systems have advantages like low energy consumption, longer and predictable life time, reduced glare and quick turn on and off etc.
    The main purpose of providing street lighting systems are prevention of accidents and increase in safety.
    Historically even before advent of incandescent lamps, candle lighting or kerosene/gas lamps were used in some cities for lighting streets.
    Farola fernandina is the name of the traditional design of street light lamps which we see in picturesque photographs.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Bhushan,
    An excellent post from you. But I am worried about your request -" please give me some rest by accommodating a switch in the pole so that on and off can be done by the user." Do you know how dangerous it will be if the ON and OFF switch is provided on the light poles?. In this miscreants filled world, especially the chain snatchers, it will be an added advantage for them to put off the light and get into their chain snatching business in the dark. So, it is not advisable to have a switch on the poles. Let us contact the concerned power stations to switch off the light if it was found 'ON'.

As Kailash said, we have advanced technologies in the street lightings. We should make use of the technology to ensure that power is not wasted.

No life without Sun ¤

Light sensors can be used to automatically switch the lights on & off. It is just a small electronic circuitry which should not cost more than Rs 50 in bulk!

This is an excellent post. In many places I have seen that the street lights are on even at 10 a.m in the morning in summer. Due to sunlight, many people don't even see that the street lights are on . This is sheer wastage of electricity and this should be stopped for the sake of the country.

I appreciate the effort made by the author through this thread.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Wonderful post, when I joined ISc I was always thinking what I am going to learn? Today I got a new lesson. Although I know this thing to switch off the power button when not in use, but the author made it very simple and interesting and this can be shared with all my friends.
    As you suggest to have a switch on pole that might be more wastage, as the child who move around the pole will use this switch as their game and will on.off continuously, but as kailash ji advised to use some advanced technology like censor circuit which will switch on the light during low light automatically would be the better suggestion. SO there will be less wastage of power and increase the life span of the bulb.

This is a nice post which teaches us the social responsibility to prevail upon the authorities to switch off the street lights when not required. Normally a timer is fixed in colony street lights, which shall switch on as per time and then get switched off early in the morning. Some times the timer is not set as per the changing climatic conditions. When the night still there till early morning 5.30, the street lights gets switched off, which causes inconvenience to those who undertake walking on the colony roads. Like wise there must be a arrangement in such a way that one after other lights must switch off every five minutes to save the power.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

A switch and meter reading on the pole is available in Hyderabad but only one person in the street is given to access the switch on or off the street light so that he/she open the mini door off or on the light(if it is not on) and lock the door.
    If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

A very good thread posted by the author. So many times I have come across street lights being on even during day time. On calling the concerned person and informing him about this, I felt he took it in a lighter note. I found that the street light was on until afternoon. Every individual should have the responsibilities. If a light is on in their house for no reason, then they will immediately switch it off. Similarly this should be shown even for street light and save the power.

A switch and meter reading on the pole is available in Hyderabad but only one person in the street is given to access the switch on or off the street light so that he/she open the mini door off or on the light(if it is not on) and lock the door.

Swagatika,

As there is lot of knowledge you can learn from me if you refer my previous threads you will know that because I do have abundance of knowledge in all aspects unlike lead editor in ISC

If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

Sign In to post your comments