You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is there any cactus lovers like me?

Members,

Do any of our members also enjoy gardening as their next best hobby to Isc? If so, I was wondering if anyone enjoys growing cacti?! I have observed that most of the people only grow beautiful flower bearing plants to enhance the beauty of their place or plants that produce vegetables so that they can use it to cook a healthy meal. However, I'm somehow more attracted towards the cactus types simply because not many seem to be having it in their collections!

Any cactus lovers out there like me?!
    Basically I like this as in my childhood I am somehow confused between the two by names in Tamil. Cacti is called in Tamil as Sappathi Kalli(while pronouncing it may be spell like chapathi meaning roti) and the other one Sotru katralai (aloe vera) where sotru in tamil meaning rice. But after I become a lover to watch any kind of collection being a biology student in Higher secondary and when I came to know the difference. I cannot forget the two and even now though there are many aloe vera nearer to my house, I always inclined towards cacti and always loved to watch during my travel and I could not get a snap of one now and surely I will upload photos of cacti.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

True cactus lover grow dragon fruit tree which is basically a cactus vine of the genus Hylocereus. It produces dragon fruit or pithaya, said to be the 'wondrous fruit' of the 21st century.
    The vine grows in any kind of soil, has minimum requirement of water and maintenance, can tolerate Indian climatic conditions and cuttings can be used for further propagation/resale.
    The plant normally fruits 18 to 24 months after plantation in 3 to 4 waves during one season during or after monsoons. Each fruit weighs about 300 to 1000 grams and each pole fruits approximately 40 to 100 fruits per wave. Thus one pole normally yields approximately 15 to 25 kg of dragon fruits.
    India is presently importing 95% of its requirement from countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Only few farmers in the sates of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have started cultivation of dragon fruit in India.
    My recommendation to the author is to grow dragon fruit instead of decorative cactii.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Believe it or not, when I went to attend a betrothal function day before yesterday, I happened to travel by a Mini Bus which travels through small villages with narrow roads. I was astonished to see a type of cactus. My God! What a growth. It is a thick beautiful and tall fencing that no one can dare to enter. It looks very beautiful with its green and thorns. Cactus doesn't need watering. My son used to say - If we sight a cactus flower we are the most luckiest people.

I love cactus. My farmland in my village has a different short cactus fencing.

No life without Sun ¤

I'm really glad to find a few of you here who share the same liking. Frankly, when I posted this thread, I thought that there probably won't be anyone who will respond to it. The reason is that, we can't come across many people who grow or are much inclined about cactus plants. As for me, I feel that the flowers that come out of cactus plants are more pronounced and beautiful. Personally I adore the pink crown cactus and it's my all time favourite.

Sign In to post your comments