You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Phrases to greet/bless the newly wedded couples

Members,
    I think, all of us must have attended one or more marriage function, presented gifts, greeted/blessed the couples with suitable phrases. There are many who just visit the couple and hand over the gift but say nothing to the couple. There are few who greet the couples with suitable words. There are elders who bless the couple with suitable words. Few go to the couples only to pose for the photograph.

I feel that we should greet/bless the newly married couple with suitable words that would please the couple.

Here in this thread, I wish to know from each and every member of ISC as to how they greet/bless the newly married couple.

Make it interesting. So that we can learn more and more greeting phrases through ISC members.
    Generally we do not bless couples in English language as in our respective societies and cultures, our mother tongues are used as a medium of communication. However sometimes we do participate in wedding functions in metro cities etc. where modernity becomes the norm and people use standard English language greetings, nowadays available in various internet resources also.
    In traditional systems , generally the bride is blessed as 'sada saubhagyawati raho' ( may your husband remain alive eternally ) in Hindi language. The couple is blessed as ' tumahari jodi bani rahe' ( may you two remain as a couple eternally) and sometimes as 'dudho nahao, puto phalo' ( may God enable you to prosper like taking bath in milk and enable you to procreate soon).

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Mohan sorry Kailash,,
    I am talking about the educated society. We generally shake hand and greet by saying "My Best wishes' 'Best of luck' ' All the best' 'Happy married life' etc.

Throw some good English phrases that we use.

@ Address edited.

No life without Sun ¤

It seems Sun is seeing my name in other members response too. For responding to Kailash, he made my reference.

In Tamil there is popular blessing line which can be used but new couples would be astonished :

Padhinaaru petru perum vazhvu vazhga.

Means have 16 children and live greater life.

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Traditionally in Sanskrit but generalised elders bless couples by placing hand on their heads and saying " Deergha Aayushmaan bhava" to the groom and " Dheergha sumangalee bhava' to the bride.

(@Mohan#571350 , I enjoyed the humour. A very good humour on dot. It is a pleasure to get once-in-a while such satire and joke from you)

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Sign In to post your comments