You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Good news for flyers: Flyer-friendly rules from 1st August, 2016!

According to the new rules notified by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation ( DGCA), all airlines will now have to indicate in an unambiguous manner upfront, the amount of refund which will be admissible on cancellation of the ticket. Aviation sector regulator DGCA has stated that under no circumstances, the airlines can levy a cancellation charge more than the basic fare plus fuel surcharge.

Coming out with the fresh set of rules, DGCA has stated that the carriers should refund all statutory taxes and User Development Fee/ Airport Development Fee/ Passenger Service Fee to the passengers in case of cancellation/ non- utilization of tickets. This provision shall also be applicable for all types of fares offered including promos/special fares and where the basic fare is non-refundable. DGCA has further clarified that the airlines cannot levy an additional charge to process the refund.

The move would come as a relief to air passengers against the backdrop of many carriers hiking the cancellation charges in recent times. The new set of rules will come into effect from 1st August, 2016.
    This is purely the user friendly sop announced by the DGCA and the interest of the passengers are well taken care off. Hope the rules would be followed in strict and no extra cost recovered while cancelling tickets.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Generally in addition to the base fare, following components are involved in an air ticket -
    1. Passenger Service Fees - Levied by Airport Authority of India (AAI) and private airports at Mumbai, New Delhi, Hyderabad, Benguluru and Kochi to cover security and facilitation.
    2. User Development Fees - Levied by AAI and private airports at New Delhi, Hyderabad and Benguluru to fund passenger facilitation.
    3. Development Fees - To bridge the funding gap for infrastructure development at Mumbai and New Delhi airports.
    4. Service Tax - Levied by Central Board of Excise and Customs.
    5. Fuel Surcharge - Airline fuel surcharge.
    6. Carrier Imposed Misc Fees - Charged by the airlines.
    The cancellation charges are now set to drop to the level of base fare plus fuel surcharge and the airlines will have to refund all statutory taxes.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

All airlines charge very huge amount as cancellation fee. Now it would be drastically reduced. I welcome this step taken by DGCA.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments