You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Government residential complex for tenants

Is there any government rental building for the people looking for rent in India ?
    What is your actual requirement? Normally Government built home and quarters only for the Government employee or make hostels for students who study in either Government school or colleges. Although Government built some house and sell it to the people, but I am unaware whether Government gives on rental basis.

Though Government takes private buildings on rent to open offices etc., but as far as I know, the Government don't give accommodation on rent to citizens. Government do constructs residential premises in the form of colonies for its employees and recovers a license fee from allottees. Government pays House Rent allowance (HRA) also to its employees. In the draft National Urban Rental Housing Policy published in October, 2015 also no such policy was announced.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As far as I know that central and state governments have created colonies for particular sector of employees and they are staying there. In fact such home are sold to them at a pittance in those days. The Kukatpally housing board, Moulali housing board colonies are created in the year 1980's and they are allotted to state government employees and over the period of time the same homes were given to them as owners under installment scheme. Therefore government does not construct and rent the homes which is not possible for them to maintain in long run.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Government never functions as a rental agency. Government builds flats and hostels for accommodating Government employees (not all). In addition, Government builds office complexes, schools, colleges, hospitals, etc. but not fats/building for the purpose of renting.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sometimes it so happens that the allottees of Government quarters sub-let either in part or in full, the accommodation allotted to them to others unauthorizedly despite the fact that there are well defined rules forbidding such practices.
    During My Mumbai posting I came to know about such practices. There were property dealers who used to take 11 months rent in advance and two months rent as their service charges for letting one reside in a Government quarter.
    Such practice may be prevalent in other cities also. However it is totally illegal and unauthorized.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments