You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Five simple tips to get rid of toothache

Tooth-ache sometimes doesn't allow us to do any work. It takes our attention to the tooth which is paining. To get immediate relief from tooth-ache some traditional methods are mentioned for the benefit of Members and other readers:-
    (a) Salt and pepper:-Salt mixed with pepper is a great remedy for extreme tooth ache as both the ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
    (b) Cloves and clove oil:- Cloves have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anaesthetic properties that can help cure extreme tooth pain and fight infection.
    (c) Warm salt water: A glass of warm salt water is the quickest way to ease the tooth-ache.
    (d) Avoiding extreme temperature: A person suffering from toothache must avoid extreme hot or extreme cold temperature.
    (e) Cough drop:- Cough drops or lozenges usually contain a small amount of anesthetic (menthol) which can help to relieve minor toothache.

But it should be remembered that all the above tips are only temporary in nature. A person suffering from toothache regularly must visit a dentist.
    Hi Partha Sir,
    Your tips on tooth-ache are really very useful. The very commonly used method I've seen in my home in childhood is using clove oil/cloves and warm salt water during winter season or whenever someone in my family feels pain in tooth. The new method I learn from you is 'using cough drops'. Thanks for these tips. However, everyone knows that doctors advise to brush twice daily. But we ignore sometimes / forgets; and many people don't care about their tooth or doctors advices, they just eat whatever at night and go bed immediately, which is very risky if they don't wash their mouth properly after eating. Second thing, if you speak more and use mobile/telephone excessively, then you must brush twice a day and clean your mouth regularly.

Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Generally toothache is not a fatal or life threatening medical condition and therefore the people keep on postponing its proper treatment by visiting a dentist and getting the same properly diagnosed and treated. Often during late night the toothache gets aggravated and in absence of any other alternative, home remedies are resorted to.
    The toothache may be due to cavities, a cracked tooth or often due to infection in the gum line causing an abscess to get developed.
    A chemical compound, eugenol present in clove is a natural anesthetic which is used as the most popular home remedy to get temporary relief from the toothache. However, it cannot treat the problem. Generally two drops of clove oil is put on a cotton ball which is placed against the aching tooth. Sometimes the whole clove itself is chewed to release its oil for subsiding the pain.
    There are few such other home remedies as discussed by the author, but the same are not a solution to the problem. One has to ultimately visit a dentist to get it treated.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Thank you for the tips Mr. Partha Kansabanik. They are really helpful, at least for people like me. From my childhood, I have problems related to tooth and almost always try to avoid consulting a dentist because of fear (due to a problem from a treatment I had previously). So, I suffer from toothache but there is no way to remove it or at least reduce it till now. I hope these tips will help me.

Let us continue learning.

While I appreciate the author for giving the best tips to get rid of nagging tooth ache, what I advise to chew some tender neem leaves and immediately the germs which are the cause for that ache would die and we get rid of pain. This method I was following when ever I had great pain. While the measures cited by the author are also good but they are temporary. That means the pain would appear again. But by having regular chewing of neem leaves for two or three days, one can get rid of tooth ache pain for many days. Moreover chewing neem leaves would become a habit as taste buds would adjust itself to accept it over the course of time.

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments